Monday, June 13, 2005

What I'm Reading Now...

Yes, I always like to have two or three books going at the same time. I love having OPTIONS. Slow chapter? Switch to the next book and try again later! Story line getting weird? Take a break and try some nonfiction! So here goes:


1. Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise
by Ruth Reichl

Reichl used to be the food critic at the New York Times. She's also the executive editor of Gourmet magazine, so she really knows her stuff. Why do I read? LOVE books that offer glimpses into the food world, whether is be via critics, chefs, or restaurant minions. This one follows Reichl as she creates disguises and accompanying personalities that (usually) allowed her to eat undetected in NYC's restaurants.


2. Irrational Exuberance (2nd ed.)
by Robert J. Shiller

In the second edition, Shiller puts a real estate twist on his cogent aguments about "bubble-like" market behavior. Why do I read? Because like everyone else who lives in my area, I am obsessed in an unhealthy way with the skyrocketing value of my home. It's great! It just keeps going up and up! So do the property taxes! Weep.


3. Down Came the Rain
by Brooke Shields

An intimate look at her personal struggle with postpartum depression. Why do I read? Actually, it's because I happened to see her on Oprah, and while I usually turn the channel immediately upon encountering a celebrity interview, I was riveted by her story.


And last but not least...


4. Fodor's Italy 2005

Yes! Our Italy extravaganza is almost here! Almost, as in only 2 1/2 months away! Why do I read? Can't wait to go. We've been trying to learn Italian for the trip. So far I can order white wine, red wine, the house wine, and coffee with cream and sugar. I can also ask where the bathroom is. That's right, all the essentials.

Ciao.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home