Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Ciao!

Okay, guys, we are veeeeery close to boarding a plane to Italy. Unfortunately, a few little things have made this time a wee bit stressful for us:

  • My husband's grandfather passed away early this morning
  • My father-in-law escaped from New Orleans but his house is now underwater
  • My brother-in-law is unexpectedly shipping out to Baghdad in a few days

But. BUT! We are still going to Italy tomorrow, and we will still have a great time!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, I am proud to announce that the following things have been accomplished:

  • Alex's anal sac has been squeezed and emptied. Thank God. Also, thank God that I do not have anal sacs. That I know of.
  • Clothes are halfway packed.
  • Have poured shampoo and conditioner from economy-sized bottles into cute travel-sized bottles.
  • Have photocopied passports in case some evil asshole steals them.
  • Compiled list of phone numbers for everyone we know in case we have to contact ANYONE, for ANY REASON.
  • Showed neighbor's kids how to water our plants while we're gone.
  • Also, bribed neighbors with a basket of home-grown red peppers to get ride to airport.
  • Have rounded up the camera, two memory cards, and 10 bazillion titanium batteries.
  • 20 packs of gum are ready and waiting to be chewed.
  • We have euros AND travelers checks AND a credit card.
  • And maps and phrasebooks. So very many phrases. So very many opportunities to accidentally insult someone.

In the Sistine Chapel:
Me: Dove il quartiere a luci rosse?
Old nun: Gasps. Starts hitting me with a rolled up newspaper.
Me: Ouch! What? What did I say!
Husband: You just asked her where the red light district is.
Me: Crap!


There is also a bottle of Papio wine to drink tonight (God bless my husband) to help get ourselves in vacation mode, and because Papio wines have the cutest labels ever, AND they donate some of their profits to good causes that help animals!

So ciao, everyone. I'll try to post something from the road!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Yay for good causes that help animals! I'm sorry about your husband's loss. Also...at the Sistine Chapel...they don't want you to wear shorts. Skirts might be OK, I forget. Pants/long capris are OK. Otherwise, they give you these horrible gunny sack things to put on. I wore pants, having read about it in a guidebook...but I saw some guys struggling into their gunny sacks!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Ditto Bearette's comments for St. Peter's Basilica. I think skirts have to be at least mid-calf. Best to go with pants or a long skirt. Also, I think tank tops are verboten.

Italians don't wear shorts and tank tops anywhere but the beach, so you'll fit in a "little" better if you stick to slacks and a nice top. But they can spot an American from a mile no matter what.

Have a great time. Post pics when you are back. And know that you and your family are in my prayers.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks guys.
I'm sure I'll be easily identifiable as American, what with my ghostly skin and blonde hair. I'm not taking any shorts; mostly skirts that hit below the knee and pants. And tops are mostly twinset-type things, with a light sleeveless sweater top and a cardigan that I can use to "cover up". Sound ok? Are pretty much all the chapels, etc. strict about dress?

And Bearette, meant to ask you the best thing to wear to Enoteca in Florence...

5:10 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I think that sounds good. I wore pants to the Sistine Chapel, but a longish skirt should be fine.

The Enoteca place is fancy. I remember they wouldn't let D in because he wore sneakers; we had to go back to the hotel so he could change. I was wearing a pink sleeveless top and a beige skirt from the Gap, plus black mules. I think skirt/nice top/nice sandals will be fine. Or a dress and sandals.

When they wheel out the cheese and dessert carts at Enoteca, think of me :)

12:57 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

Have a great time! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Also, I'm sorry for your family's loss.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Sarcomical said...

okay, so just tell me what the anal glands need to be squeezed for. do i need to have that done to my dogs? because...ew.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

Hope you're having a fab time in Italy, but we miss your posts back in the good ole US of A!

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home