Sunday, August 14, 2005

Pride cometh before the water inhalation...

The interview went well on Friday. Very, very well, and in fact I think it may be the best interview I've ever had. At one point I was answering a question, and I had the sensation of floating above the table, observing myself and marveling over how awesome I was doing. Then, two seconds later, I almost choked to death on a sip of water. Awesome, indeed.

It's a lazy Sunday here... I have a stack of books to read. Right now I'm reading The Ice Queen, by Alice Hoffman. Also on my stack, fresh from the library, are Until I Find You (John Irving) and Before You Know Kindness (Chris Bohjalian). I am a huge Irving fan, but unfortunately I just read on Bearette's blog that this newest work is not the greatest. I'll still give it a shot, but I'm not one to suffer through anything I'm not enjoying. Bohjalian also wrote Midwives, which I loved, so I am anxious to get started on his new one.

I just emailed a very simple recipe for Parmesan cheese crisps to a friend of mine. Yeah, so she asked for it on the FOURTH OF JULY and I just now sent it to her. Does that make me a bad person?

Anyway, these are neat to serve at parties because they look fancy but are really easy. And there is only ONE ingredient, so no need to be intimidated! And by the way, I can't seem to type "crisps" to save my life. I keep leaving off the first s. Rest assured, if you see "Crips" I am not talking about the notorious LA gang, but rather a tasty cheese treat. Here is the recipe:

Parmesan Crisps:

Ingredient: 4 cups Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heavily grease a cookie sheet.
Sprinkle the parmesan cheese in circles, each about 5 inches in diameter (you may need to do this in batches). Use enough to cover the area thinly, but don't use too much. Place sheet in oven and bake for 8 minutes, or until golden brown (keep checking on them, as I've sometimes had them cook much faster than this, esp. when using a dark sheet).

Remove the cheese circles from the sheet and immediately drape them over a rolling pin so that they get a curved shape as they cool and harden. Be very careful when you handle the cooled crisps as they will be brittle.

These are great not only as little appetizers, but also for fancy plating. You can set them on the dinner plates, or stick them in mashed potatoes, etc., for a fancy effect. Your friends will be AMAZED. Plus, it is great fun to eat all the broken pieces after the company leaves.

And now? I'm going to post a couple of pictures of Alex the Cute, and then go be lazy for the rest of the day.



"Sigh...nothing to do but sit here and look adorable."



These brown eyes follow my every move, every day.



"You love me, right? Please say you love me..."

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Love the pics, especially the last one! We have book overlap :) I loved Midwives and liked Before You Know Kindness. I also liked The Ice Queen. I'm curious to see what you think of the new Irving...

3:45 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

But what about the pictures of the crisps?

9:33 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Frema, I eat them too fast to take pictures. I'll try to have more willpower next time...

9:53 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I actually read a recipe for similar crisps in one of Mollie Katzen's cookbooks. They were good :) I remember they disappeared awfully quickly.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Cole said...

That first picture is so cute! I really want to try making those crisps, too.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Crisps for everyone! Trust me, they are delicious. Let me know how they turn out. ;-)

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home