Monday, August 29, 2005

Separation Anxiety

I have to post a few more Alex pictures, and it's not only because I have writer's block!

And that's the honest truth!*

We will soon be taking Alex to his kennel so that my husband and I may enjoy our vacation in Italy. And before you email me to tell me all the dangers of kennels and and the horrifying undercover investigation you saw on Dateline, rest assured that Alex's kennel is LOL. And people? I'm not saying its funny like Bernie Mac. I mean it's the Lap Of Luxury for dogs that love to play hard and get dirty. Honestly. He looooooves this place, and the owner loves him back and calls him her "special boy".

(should I worry that she thinks he is special as in "slow"? I only ask because today I when I showed Alex his toy and then put it under my shirt, it was apparent that he has no grasp of object permanence because he immediately looked for the toy in his toybox. I tried to explain, see Alex? Just because my shirt's covering it doesn't mean it's gone! It's right here! But then I hid it again and he whipped his head around and sniffed his tail, like WTF, tail? Why you be stealin' my toys and shit? Hmph.**)

So here are a few more pictures of Alex. I'm sure I will steal into every Internet cafe I see in Italy for a chance to look at the pictures. Because really... how could you leave this in another country for 2 weeks?



At the dog park. Lots of smells and dirt and Great Dane slobber. Awesome.



Also, look how big my tongue is. Truly amazing.
I should totally be Gene Simmons in a Kiss tribute band.



How could you leave me? Guilt. Guiillllllt.


*that is not the honest truth. I have writer's block so bad that I can't hear anything out of my right ear.

**again, this is less than honest. Really, it is exaggeration used for comedic effect. The truth is, Alex is very smart. I think the tail sniffing was actually due to an anal gland that needs squeezin'. This will be remedied by his vet tomorrow. I go to a veterinary professional because the one time I tried to do it myself? I was reminded of why I didn't become a veterinary professional. The whole time I was groping around back there Alex watched me with panicked eyes that said, "I know you must have a good reason for molesting me... I'm just trying to figure out what it is!"

10 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Argh. I was supposed to find my Italy stuff and completely forgot because I've been (a) moping about my birthday and my life and the fact that I'm a year away from 30 and (b) trying to get ready for my trip back East.

And I'm feeling guilty about leaving Rowen, too, even though it is just for a week and she'll probably have way more fun while I'm gone than when I'm around. She's staying at a house with a big yard and a pool and other dogs for her to play with. But I'm going to miss her!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Hmm, maybe I will visit Alex in the kennel...J/K, I'm not that crazy :)

Have a groovy time in Italy and don't forget to blog!

Whenever I have writer's block, with blogging or anything else, I lower my standards and just write away. Strangely, that's when the best stuff often comes out, and you can always edit later.

In Florence, don't forget Enotecca Piniciorri and I Tre Merli! I went to I Tre Merli for my 29th birthday. I found my Florence guidebook and I'm now confident that's the right place.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Bearette---Why didn't I think of that? I'm going to be in DC this weekend (and hopefully remember why I didn't want to move back there?). I could visit Alex and bring him a treat from Rowen. :-)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Awww :) And you can take some pics while you're at it.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Hubby said...

Lisa,
Don't feel bad about almost turning 30. I turned 30 this year and decided to hang out with older people...:-) Now I am still the youngest person in my crowd.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Yeah, I just turned 30 and it's not that bad. As long as you don't think about it too much.

And I got carded at a liquor store recently! And she looked surprised when she saw my license :)

2:07 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

What I'm wearing seems to play a role in whether I get carded or not. When I'm dressed for work, it never happens. Sometimes happens when I'm in jeans and a t-shirt, especially if I'm wearing a hat.

Hat = Sneaky Minor Trying to Buy Alcohol

3:54 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

So I still haven't found my Italy stuff. Don't even know what country it is in at this point. Perhaps in the Lost Zone along with my 26 kilos of books that I tried to ship from Italy to the US (if you happen to stumble across them . . . ) and my comforter that disappeared somewhere between Ohio and Texas.

But a couple random thoughts from my head:

* Pallatine Hill. It's like the Georgetown of ancient Rome. Admission is included with your ticket to the Colosseum, but most people skip it. Don't. It's a beautiful view of Rome and an uncrowded place to view ruins.

* For both the Colosseum and the Forum, get a tour guide. Sometimes you get lucky and there are some of the free guides from the cultural centre hanging around. If not, it is worth the extra 5-10 euros to have someone show you around and not spend the entire time with your nose in the tour book trying to figure out if you are looking at the temple of the vestal virgins or the sea gods.

* At St. Peter's Basillica, you can usually hook up with a free tour guide. Do it. They know tons of great trivia, like that the big altar in the center can fit into the top of the dome and the letters along the top of the walls are about 8 ft high.

* In Florence, check out the Leather School. Best leather products you'll find. Pricey, but fun just to feel the leather and dream about the day I sell my novel---plus film rights---and can afford to go back.

* Also, Florence is the place to go for marbled paper. There's a great place on the south side of the city---Il Testino---or something like that.

* Florence has much better art museums than Rome (other than the Vatican museum, of course). If you are pressed for time or think you might get museum'd out, do the museums in Florence and skip the ones in Rome.

* In Rome, my advice is to walk and to ditch your map. You find the best stuff when you let yourself get totally lost in the little streets and small piazzas.

* There's a really neat toy store in Pza Navona (Rome) if you need to get gifts for little ones.

* The Keats house near the Spanish Steps is worth a visit.

* Best way to see the Via Appia is by bike. There's a rental place, but I can't remember the name. It's probably in your guide book or your hotel can tell you.

That's all I can think of. Have fun! Drink lots of water. And wear clean underwear!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks, Lisa! Great tips (especially about the underwear. How about no underwear?)

;-)

11:30 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Remember what I said about the men on the buses?

You might want to wear a little something. ;-)

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home