Friday, August 26, 2005

Tagged!

My post for today was going to be something really lame, but we have been saved by Bearette, who tagged me for this meme:


Ten years ago, August 1995

I was in college; a social work major/Spanish minor and working at the main library's reference desk as a student assistant. I loved working there, yet librarianship did not occur to me as a career choice. I was probably taking classes like social statistics, social deviance, and abnormal psychology. I began using my new skills & knowledge to analyze myself and realized I had trouble with cyclical depression. I went to a counselor on campus, but he was a cold man who sat far away from me, and I didn't go back. I made a mental note never to do that to my future clients. I met my best friend, Lisa, who now lives about 30 minutes from me, and a whole host of other wonderful friends that I still see once or twice a year. I was dating my boyfriend (now my husband) long-distance. This was very hard but we managed to make it work. It was worth it.


Five years ago, August 2000:

My husband and I were newlyweds, recently back from Mexico. We had both made it through grad school and were working as clinical social workers... he in foster care, me in a residential treatment center for abused children. Hard work. Sad work. Once I asked one of my kids, "If you could change your life in some way, how would you change it?" The 6-year old replied, "With a magic wand!" Hubby was working in parts of the city where the Guardian Angels patrolled the streets in their red berets. We had a little apartment that we loved. I was eating our leftover wedding cake at an alarming rate.


One year ago, August 2004

We went to Mexico again and had recently returned. My husband was still a social worker, but working in a different (better) job. I had jumped ship, gone back through grad school again at an alarming rate, and was now a librarian. A happy librarian. We had purchased our first house a year ago and were slowly filling it. Our dog Alex had been with us for about a year. We started planning a trip to Italy for Fall 2005.


Yesterday, August 25, 2005

At work I got my official offer for the job I interviewed for a couple of weeks ago, so I will be starting there sometime in September. Hooray! You know you really want a job when you're willing to give up your gigantic private office with the awesome view. Around 9:30 p.m. my dog and I took one of our night walks. The air is mercifully cooler and more pleasant now. Alex chased a bird and sniffed a frog. At home I contemplated folding laundry but decided against it. It's already wrinkled; why worry about it now? Wished I had wedding cake that I could eat at an alarming rate. Had to settle for low-fat mint chocolate chip ice cream. Tried to think of anyone we know who might want to get married soon.


Tomorrow, Saturday, August 27, 2005:

Would usually go to my class at the gym in the morning, but I have to work. Weather is still supposed to be awesome, so maybe we will take the dog hiking after I get home. Will start packing for Italy (!). Hope to see March of the Penguins if there's time...


Five snacks I enjoy:

fruit salad
veggie burgers
tortilla chips & homemade white bean-avocado dip
baked frozen french fries
popcorn


I know most of the lyrics of these five bands/artists:

Beatles
Tom Petty
Indigo Girls
Aerosmith
Fleetwood Mac


Five things I'd do with a million dollars:

Donate to our local rescue league
Buy the old house I've always wanted (and fix it up)
Travel
Get electrolysis so I'd never have to shave again
Save

Five places I'd run away to:

Florida, which always felt like my true home
Shenandoah National Park
Yosemite National Park
Hawaii
An old farm somewhere out in the country


Five bad habits I have:

Cracking my knuckles
Speeding
Staying up too late when I know I'll be exhausted the next morning
Leaving clothes on the dresser or in the bathroom, rather than putting them away
When we have guests over, preparing meals that get me stuck in the kitchen, rather than out visiting with them


Five things I like doing:

Exercising
Cooking
Laughing hysterically
Playing with my dog
Hiking
Reading
(whoops, that's 6...)


Five things I wouldn't wear:

Pleated pants
Knee socks
Anything in a flourescent color
Uggs
Fur


Five TV shows I love:

I Love Lucy
The Amazing Race
E! True Hollywood Story (I admit it!)
Iron Chef
Property Ladder


Five movies I love:

Dead Poets Society
Love Actually
Life is Beautiful
While You Were Sleeping
When Harry Met Sally

Five famous people I'd like to meet:

I can honestly say that I can't think of anyone I'd really like to meet. I'd probably get excited if I spotted someone famous on the street, though.

Five favorite toys:

Digital camera
KitchenAid mixer
My dog
My car
My books


Person to tag:

Frema



Okay, and now for the lame entry I was originally going to post?

Check this out if you're looking for a new activity to try this weekend:
http://www.cheeseracing.org/

5 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Thanks for answering! I enjoyed reading your answers.

Cheese racing, huh? And I remember reading in an earlier post that you hate shaving.

Have fun in Italy!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Yes, just think of how many HOURS I spend shaving every year, and how short my showers could be if I didn't have to do it! Unfortunately, I've read that blondes aren't well-suited to electrolysis... something about the laser beam not being able to find the hair follicle as well.... :-(

Thanks... leaving for Italy on Thursday!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

I am SO EXCITED! I'm going to do this right now.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous jenny-bean said...

i agree about uggs... i never understood what all the fuss was about. they are damn ugly.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great movies, great bands.
Molly

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home