Thursday, September 29, 2005

Quiet in the stacks...

I am sitting here in my quiet library, admiring all the students who are studying so earnestly. Some have been here for hours. And of the last 10 who have left for the evening? Nine have thanked me, even if I didn’t do anything directly to help them. I guess they’re saying thanks for being open, thanks for making people turn off their cell phones in here, thanks for giving me a place that is quiet and still so I can absorb all this information and take my place in running this world one day.

I’m sooooo sentimental.

It makes me nostalgic for college. I’m one of those weirdoes whose nostalgia doesn’t revolve around parties and drunken nights (although I won’t say I didn’t participate willingly in a few of those). I get nostalgic for the days when I holed myself away in the darkest, tiniest nook in the library stacks, memorizing and highlighting and thinking. I loved it when the new schedule of classes was published and I could run my eyes over the hundreds of interesting classes I could take. I signed up for things like cultural ecology and gerontology, and a history class that was taught entirely in Spanish, just because I was curious. I often took 18 or more credit hours, because anything over 15 was free.

I was really into college. I WAS that girl in the slick promotional booklets, standing in the center of the green, green quad, clutching a stack of books to her chest, breathing deep the wonderful aroma of learning.

What, you thought they hired a professional for that gig?

But seriously, I appreciated every minute that I was there. I appreciated the fact that my parents enabled me to be there. And since I couldn’t stay in college or grad school forever, I guess my job is the next best thing. Because I really do learn something new every single day. And nothing I file away in my brain ever goes to waste here, because there’s always a library patron who needs it.

The library is still quiet. I just heard someone turn a page.

And we’ll be closing soon, so you’ll have to excuse me for now. I have to shut down the computers and put away the books and journals. I’ll move the chairs back to where they belong. I’ll wake up the student who fell asleep in his anatomy book and send him home. I’ll turn off all the lights. And then I’ll lock the doors on my way out, so that all these wonderful tomes will be safe until tomorrow.

6 Comments:

Anonymous jenny-bean said...

aww... i love libraries. you sound nicer than the librarians at my college, tho. ;)

9:08 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

I loved college, too, though I didn't always realize it. I had a hard time finding my niche, but I do miss the days of taking a nap after my 1:00 class and not having anything pressing to do for the rest of the day. I miss movie nights and going to class in my pajamas and staying up all night to work on my section of the newspaper.

Memories....

9:21 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh, now you're making me rethink my grad school plans. Not the going part---I'm psyched for that---but the what to study part. I was *this* close to applying for library school.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Mem'ries, like the corner of my mind... misty watercolor MEM'ries...

(sob)

Lisa- really, library school? (Beeeee one of us, Lisa! You loooooove books! and wearing your hair in a bun!)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

No, no! Don't confuse me! I've finally settled on a program (anthropology, fyi).

But I do love books. And I do like to put my hair up in a bun. And wear cardigans with pockets.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Ok, don't get carried away. I do NOT wear cardigans with pockets. Or sensible shoes.
;-)

Anthropolgy is a fascinating field... congrats!

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home