Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Venice in Pictures (and a few words)

As I said, Venice was a beautiful city. Of all the places we traveled, I could see myself living there. But then our neighbor pointed out that I've never been there for the worst of the summer when it's sweltering hot and the streets are flooded and the canals are stinky and you just want to kill yourself, you're so miserable, and I said, "Oh well, I'll just go to Florence for those 3 months, you killjoy."



It was beautiful, and not too hot, and not at all stinky during the time that we were there. And it's my kind of place. Laid back, plenty of old buildings, petunias and geraniums decorating every balcony, and very romantic at night. And the windows-- they're all open and you would be hard-pressed to find screens in any of them. Every stroll down a narrow street brought you the sounds of televisions, and laughter, and music. Every window seemed to have something sitting on display: a bowl of fruit, a pair of shoes, a birdcage with parakeets in it. And people really do lean through the windows and watch the scene on the streets below, just like you see in movies and photograhs.



And? I never thought I would get such a thrill out of watching other someone else's laundry dry on a clothesline, but I did.


And here are my two favorite Venice pictures from my long-awaited, brilliant series, "Animals of Italy":


These two cracked me up. They stood on the balcony and barked at all the big dogs that walked by. I named them Yip and Yap.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

There are so many cats in Venice! When we were eating at our hotel (outside), a cat jumped up on a chair to join us. I took a pic with my old camera, but the scanner's at my husband's office. The doggies you took a picture of are cute.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Cole said...

I agree, Yip and Yap are cute.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

These pictures are great. I always have romantic ideas of Italy, and these images--clothes lines and all--just sealed the deal. I'd love to go there someday. Someday...

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home