Monday, October 24, 2005

I Am the Margarita

You Are a Margarita

You aren't just the life of the party, you are the party!
You mix a good drink, bust out some great music, and know how to get down.


Thanks, Lisa!


I love margaritas, and I make a good one, but I wouldn't say I'm the life of the party. I'm usually more like the caterer and bartender. ;-)

And in between margaritas I have been doing a lot of reading. Recently I have finished or started:

White House Nannies, by Barbara Kline
If you liked The Nanny Diaries, you might like this nonfiction work. It's written by the head of a nanny agency used by hoity-toity Washington DC dwellers.

The Namesake, by Jhumpa Lahiri
A wonderful book. I was so sad when I was finished. I also loved her collection of short stories, The Interpreter of Maladies, which won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. Looooove this author. Can't wait for her to write more.

Middlesex: A Novel, by Jeffrey Eugenides
Another book I was hoping would never end. It's a really spellbinding tale of a Greek-American family through the generations. Won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. Eugenides also wrote the Virgin Suicides...

Goodnight Nobody, by Jennifer Weiner
Waaaahhh! That's all I can say after not making it past chapter 3 of this book. I loved all of Weiner's previous books, but I am not into mysteries. I am very, very, very disappointed. I had to resort to reading TV Guide while I was at my conference last week. Is anyone else put off by her newest, or is it just my anti-mystery bone getting in the way?

A Wedding in December, by Anita Shreve
I haven't started this one yet, but I should have time now that I am returning Weiner's book early. Sometimes I like Shreve's books, and sometimes they're a little too... reachy. Is that a word?

Pictures from my conference coming soon... they are stunning.

HINT: If breakfast is your favorite meal of the day and you're not on a low-carb diet, this photo essay will be for YOU.


12 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Totally agree on the Weiner and Eugenides books (bad and excellent, respectively). I finished "Goodnight Nobody." You didn't miss much by not finishing it.

I'll have to add The Namesake to my library wish list.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Whee! I liked The Namesake and Middlesex. Jeffrey Eugenides went to my college! They even give his address in the online alumni database. He lives on the Haight in San Fran. I didn't pay him a visit, though.

I'm in the middle of Goodnight Nobody. I know what everybody means...it's not as good as her other books. Yet I still like it.

I also want to read the Anita Shreve book. I like how she writes romance plots in an intelligent way so i don't have to be ashamed ;)

Where's the yummy, carby photo essay?

4:54 PM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

I ran across the Shreve book at Barnes & Noble during lunch today. Looks really good....

Right now I'm on a sci-fi kick--my husband got me into some Robert Heinlein books lately and I'm finding them very interesting. I will, however, soon be going back to my other loves, chick lit and medieval mysteries...

5:47 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Oh, duh, it's an upcoming photo essay.

Sometimes I miss things.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I decided to give up on Goodnight Nobody. It was starting to feel like work.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Maybe Lisa can fill us in on Goodnight Nobody, since she finished it. Who killed Kitty? I was guessing that her toddler did it. ;-)

8:05 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bdogg, science fiction is another genre I've never been able to get into. The furthest I ever got was A Swiftly Tilting Planet in grade school. I may have to give Heinlein a try!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Liz---your guess makes about as much sense as the real answer!

I posted the ending over on my blog so that you wouldn't have to deal with anyone getting cranky about a spoiler.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

Ah, books.... I finally, FINALLY finished the latest Harry Potter. Now it's time to finish the Narnia Chronicles before The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe hits theaters this December. I also have dozens of old Baby-sitters Club and Nancy Drew books I want to read/reread. Apparently I am eight years old.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Frema---I go through periods of being 8, as well. I'm through four of the Chronicles. And I think my "project" for 2006 will be to read all of L'Engle's series in order. A couple years ago, I started to reread the Homecoming series (Cynthia Voight---Homecoming, Dicey's Song, A Solitary Blue, etc.).

12:16 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I still read my Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Green Gables books once a year or so. Now that we've officially put the flannel sheets on the bed I'm itching to read The Long Winter.;-)

12:56 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I like to reread Harriet the Spy and The Stand (I know that's not a kid's book, but hey). When I was little I loved the Ramona books. And Anne of Green Gables, of course.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home