Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Over the Rivers and Through the Pancake Houses...

… to Williamsburg We Go!



Last week I had to attend a conference in Williamsburg, Virginia, and hubby went with me. This meant that Alex was treated to several days at the Lap of Luxury, where he apparently and very suddenly felt the need to assert his dominance by humping every dog in sight, from Bichon Frise to Labrador, thereby earning the dubious nickname of “Humpmaster”.

We were baffled when they told us, because Alex has never displayed this kind of behavior before. At the dog park he’s usually a victim of random humping since he’s small.

When we arrived to pick him up we awaited the usual glowing praise about how cuddly and sweet and social our little boy is. But what they said is, “Whooooo, boy! Something has gotten into Alex!”

The kennel’s owner showed us his information sheet, which normally contains notes about his feeding schedule, emergency contact numbers, etc. Except this time at the bottom it said in huge, black letters:

MUST BE WATCHED!
HUMPER!



I know, I know. Dogs will be dogs, and this is not sexual behavior, it’s about establishing dominance.

But. I. Was. Mortified.

My wittle baby? A chronic humper?

They assured us that they still love him as much as ever, and they correct him immediately when he does it, and it really isn’t a big deal, but I got a taste of what it must feel like to have a school or daycare tell you that your child has a behavioral “issue”.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.


Anyhow, back to Williamsburg. Let me tell you—people in historic Williamsburg love their pancakes and waffles with total unabashed passion. There are so many of them, and they are so close together, that you could literally walk from one to the other, all day long, eating bread and syrup, syrup and bread. I was almost crying from laughing so hard, but of course that didn’t prevent me from snapping pictures to present to you as evidence:



The original? Maybe it dates back to the 18th century! And please, don't mess with Mama Steve, for godssakes.





Keep in mind that some of the shots didn’t come out well, and I couldn’t get the ones on the other side of the street. But I kid you not—there are at least 10 within two miles of each other. IHOP, don't show your face in this town, baby!


Williamsburg also has many Christmas stores:





And many shops that sell colonial hats, gourmet cheese, expensive trinkets, and fake muskets.

Now, if I had only taken the camera to the conference social so you could see forty librarians drinking wine and dancing to I Like Big Butts, that would be the icing on the photo essay cake.

Too bad I have such a pesky conscience. ;-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I'm sure it's just a phase! He'll grow out of it!

Rowen has gone through several embarassing stages, including a dominance phase and a poop-eating phase. And I'm still ashamed when she steals a toy at the park or jumps on someone---especially kids (even though I always warn the kids and parents that she might jump).

I have to say, though, that I get really annoyed at people at the dog park who have chronic humpers and do nothing to stop the dog. They laugh and think it's so cute.

At least you have the decency to be mortified!

Whenever Rowen gets a little too much alpha attitude, I set her up with a playdate with an older and bigger dog---preferably a mama or a grumpy old boy---and let the other dog teach her a lesson. She gets submissive real quick!

And thanks for the photos. Now I want a waffle with lots of syrup. Except that I just ate enough candy corn to make a dentist cry.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Hehe...humpmaster! I still love him just the same ;)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

So glad Alex hasn't been rejected by the Internet! I just wonder why it happened there, but never in other settings. Now that he's home, no more humping.

Lisa, I hate it when bigger dogs gang up on him and the owners do nothing. I'm always out there in the middle like a crazy referee. ;-)

12:06 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

I've been to West Virginia for whitewater rafting (three times!). I never realized there was a pancake paradise just one state over.

9:25 PM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Frema, you said it! Pancake Paradise!

And I would love to see forty librarians tipsy and doing some booty dancing! Hee hee!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

"I like BIG BUTTS and i cannot lie,
the other brothers can't deny..."

12:48 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

"When a girl walks in with an itty-bitty waist and a round thing in your face..."

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home