Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I Am Thankful For Free Shipping

It is truly a season to give thanks. Look what I got in my email:

Dear Liz,

Wouldn't it be nice to head into next weekend with at least some of your holiday shopping taken care of? Shop now at esteelauder.com to see our incredible collection of gifts for everyone on your list. Plus, don't forget our exclusive offer for Registered Members: 4 Free Samples AND Free Standard Shipping!

Love,

Estee Lauder



Estee Lauder loves me, see?

In addition to free shipping, I am also thankful for my husband. He deserves some blog space because he gave me a really wonderful Christmas present. And he gave it to me early, because I came home from a really hard day at work and I was crying on the couch and he said "I know what will cheer you up!" (I know, I seem to be crying a lot lately... has someone been slipping hormones into my Aquafina? If so, please stop immediately. I am almost out of Kleenex.)

(Thank you.)

What's more, because said Christmas present takes place on December 10th, I have time to find the perfect outfit. He is a very considerate man, don't you think?

Anyhow, the gift was presented in the form of a "Let's Make a Deal!" game, where I was presented with a series of two clues and then asked to choose one. Except there was none of the pressure and anxiety of the TV version, because hello! I knew he would give me all the presents even if I lost (I think that was in our wedding vows). Also, I was drinking a lovely glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.

The first "prize" I chose was "A glorious night of reorganizing the CD cabinet!". The clue was: "Lots of small things in a large space". Which obviously I thought was going to be a refrigerator box full of diamonds. Wouldn't anyone?

The real gifts ended up being an afternoon at a day spa, dinner at a lovely restaurant, and orchestra pit seats at the Kennedy Center's Nutcracker. Also, a little something sexy to wear underneath my outfit. But I won't go into detail about that. And I think that was really more his prize than mine. ;-)

Have you ever sat really close to the stage at a ballet? You can hear the landings and the grunts and the effort of the dancing. From far away it looks so light and easy. Up close, you can feel the skill and physical strength required. The last time we saw the Nutcracker at the KC was about ten years ago. It's one of those classic DC holiday happenings, just like seeing A Christmas Carol at Ford's Theater. I'm really excited. Thank you, M!

I am also thankful for good books. I can't seem to put this one down. I find myself holding my breath as I read it and I have to take deep gulps of air to make the wooziness go away. Before I knew it the clock read 1:00 a.m. and I had to force myself to turn out the light.

Here are a few other things that deserve thanks:

Pumpkin Spice soy lattes
My parents, who arrived safely from Florida
An empty seat on the Metro
My brother and sister, due to arrive any day now
My dog, who made me laugh this morning as he slept with all four legs in the air
My warm fuzzy socks
Seat warmers in my car
Just enough chairs, stools, or piano benches to seat everyone at Thanksgiving dinner

What are you thankful for, silly or serious?

I may not have time to write much over the next few days, so Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I wish you delicious food, good company, and safe travels!

(And definitely don't slip me any more hormones. We are going shopping on Black Friday and I will need every ounce of emotional stability.)

(Thank you.)

9 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Shopping on Black Friday? You are a brave, brave woman.

But sounds like you've got a good man. A day at the spa and the ballet? Does he have any single brothers who are exactly like him?

I was a theater geek in high school---tech and stage crews---so I like to sit toward the back (first row of the last mezzanine is usually about perfect) so I can see the whole stage---the sets, the lighting, all the people.

And I'm thankful for
* Puppy snuggles
* Elastic waistbands
* Four-day weekends
* Blog friends
* Good hair days
* The Library!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Ooo, good ones, Lisa. Yes, I am thankful for all those, too. ESPECIALLY four-day weekends. :-)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I'm so glad you're reading A Million Little Pieces! It's so good. It's so not what I usually read, but it's great anyway.

Lisa - I was a theater geek too! I was also a tree nymph in Camelot. (Don't ask!)

The Nutcracker is awesome! Enjoy! I have been in a somewhat hormonal mood lately myself, but I am thankful for:

yoga
blog friends
good food
good books
D
family
and dogs to pat.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

I'm going to devote a whole entry to this soon, so I won't go into too much detail here, but I will say I'm thankful that I'm done with work for the day. :)

4:26 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I'm reading the same book. Yes, it's addicting and I like his different style of writing. I am thankful for many things, including:

first snow of the season (today!)
warm heaters
family
cool, crisp air
chocolate
pumpkin pie

9:49 PM  
Blogger Cole said...

I'm thankful for the movie version of RENT. I got to see it last night and was blown away. I suggest it to all of the many readers of Liz's blog.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Huh. Maybe I'll see it.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I had a feeling Cole would say that... ;-)

11:01 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Roxanne- the DC area got snow on Wednesday night (but not enough to play in!)

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home