Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Marry me, Madonna

I have admitted to having a jar of pumpkin butter in my fridge that is over a year old. I have admitted that I am a blubbering crybaby in rush hour traffic. And now I will admit that I am OBSESSED with Madonna's new song, Hung Up.

Does anyone else like it? I especially love the video. Whenever it comes on I sit there, mesmerized, unable to move until the very end. Then the Black Eyed Peas video for My Humps comes on and I run screaming from the room. My husband works in elementary schools and was dismayed when he heard a third-grade girl singing that song. GAH.

Actually, that sort of reminds me of a long-ago car trip when my little sister was innocently singing EnVogue's My Lovin (You're Never Gonna Get It) in the back seat.

Little sister: Never gonna get it never gonna get it, never gonna get it never gonna get it...

Dad: NEVER GONNA GET WHAT?

Little sister: I don't know.

Dad: THEN DON'T SING IT.


I was never allowed to watch MTV when I was younger, so maybe that's part of my fascination with the Madonna video. Because look! She is humping a boom box. Surely that's against the law! I missed the boat on every video except for Thriller. And that one didn't make me run out and become a scary werewolf, did it? I'm sure if I had seen Tiffany dancing around a shopping mall singing I Think We're Alone Now I would have become a sex-crazed lunatic.

I have a real urge to put on a pink leotard and black heels and dance like crazy.

15 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Hehe ;) I've never seen the video, but I love the song!

9:07 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

I've not seen the video nor heard the song, but your post has made me want to see it!

I'm not the biggest Madonna fan, but now my interest is piqued....

9:24 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I've heard the song and kind of liked it.

But "humping a boom box"? What happened to her whole turning over a new Kabbalah leaf thing? I thought she was supposed to be the new, enlightened Madge.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

And what are "my humps" anyway? Or do I not want to know?

9:39 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

If you click on the link in my post you can view the video online...

I was never a huge Madonna fan, but in this video she takes some of the most ungraceful moves and makes them look good. Also, she looks darn good for being almost 50 and the mom of two kids!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Maybe I have mistaken another movement for "humping", but that's what it looks like to me.

And the humps? Go with your first guess and it's probably right. ;-)

9:44 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I tried to watch the video online, using your link, but I always have trouble with that :( It asks me what application I want to use to watch the video and I never know. Oh well. I'll probably catch the video eventually.

I loved the video for "Don't Tell Me," from the "Music" album - her dancing with a bunch of cowboys :)

D just asked: Is Madonna back in your good graces?

I said: Yes.

D: Was she ever out of your good graces?

Me: Maybe after her last album.

But she's back, kids!!!!!!

I am already planning which songs from this CD to use when I teach my first yoga class. I think I can get away with Track 4; the others might be too fast.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

God help me, but I actually think the "My Hump" song is pretty fun.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

never gunna get it... classic

5:12 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Well, D got home and helped me download the Windows Media player. So now I have seen the video! I thought she was dressed really similarly to the love interest in Saturday Night Fever. I liked the sequence at the end where she is wearing green and writhing with the people in the alley.

Classic Madonna videos:
Papa Don't Preach
Like a Prayer

10:56 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Last night there was a making-of special about the Hung Up video! I watched the whole thing, of course. M was laughing at me.

I like Madonna. I always respect a rebel. ;-) Last album was a flop, but who can hold it against her?

By the way, isn't parkour awesome? Have you ever seen people doing that in NYC, Bearette?

9:12 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

It's funny...I had to look that up! I've never seen anyone doing it in NY, though it looked like the video was filmed there.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Her last album was a flop, but I was quick to forgive her ;) Madonna and I go back to 1985 :) I used to go to my friend's house and we dressed up as her...jelly bracelets, rolled up shirts and all (we didn't actually own any belly shirts, since we were little kidlets).

3:53 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I had one friend in particular who really dressed the part every day... lace gloves, dark eyeliner and red lipstick, jellies... she got sent home a couple of times.:-)

3:57 PM  
Blogger Cole said...

Madonna is quite the humper.

And.. was that some of 'Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie (a Man after Midnight)'?

Also, 'My Humps' has become a teenage anthem. It's loudly sung through the halls of my high school.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home