Saturday, November 05, 2005

These are a few of my favorite things...

I'm not a big collector, but I do have a passion for pottery. Specifically, pottery made by Blue Ridge Pottery, a family-owned business out in the Blue Ridge Mountains (one of the prettiest places on earth). I first found it by accident in 1997 when I was heading out for a hike, and I've been going back ever since.

It started with a mug for tea. That was my first purchase. Then I bought a cereal bowl. When my husband and I got married, they made an entire set of dishes for us. Now we make the trek out there every Fall to get a couple of new pieces. It is worth the almost 3-hour drive.

It's like eating off a piece of art every day... it's beautiful stuff. I also have pottery made by other people, but my Blue Ridge pieces are my favorite. Thought you might like to see some of it!



Our set of dishes is this cobalt blue with white and a little red swirled in.


Bread plates!


This is the inside of a bowl. We bought two like this when we traveled out there a few weeks ago. Isn't it beautiful?


Mugs are essential, don't you think? (book on the couch in the background is The Long Winter, of the Little House series. I like to read that one every year when the weather starts to turn.)


The platter is a new addition, too... just in time for hosting a bazillion people for Thanksgiving. They glazed it in these colors especially for us. Guess which mountains those are supposed to be? Go on, guess! (the dog toy in the background is not made by BRP. It is a nasty, dog-eared squeak toy that Alex will not let us throw away).


The patriarch of the family, Alun Ward, is a great guy. He used to be a businessman who traveled all over the world. Now he is a master potter who wears overalls every day. When talking with him, you realize he is that rare person who is doing exactly what he was meant to do.

Blue Ridge Pottery has a new packaging machine, so they can now ship their pottery. Check out their website for details. I'm not affiliated with them in any way; I just love their stuff. ;-)

10 Comments:

Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Those are so beautiful!

OMG--the "Little House" books are my absolute favorite books in the whole wide world. I literally read the covers off them when I was a girl. I used to wish I'd been born back then, until I got older and realized how much work they had to do just to survive. :)

10:58 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

My favorites, too. :-) I still have my original paperback set that I got for Christmas as a child. They are literally falling apart! I will have to break down and buy a new set at some point.

Did you read The First Four Years? If so, what do you think of it?

11:30 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

So pretty! I like how you can stay there too. I also like the chew toy ;)

Was The First Four Years about Laura's marriage? I remember her husband's name was Manley ;)

12:36 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

It's funny, one of the things I remember in detail from those books is how Laura wore pink ribbons in her braids and Mary wore blue. It was supposed to be good for their respective hair colors. I got it in my head that brunettes should always wear pink. Fashion tips from Little House ;)

12:38 PM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

I did read "The First Four Years." I remember not liking it as much as I liked the others, because the tone of the book was so different from her first ones. And it was kind of depressing, too.

I loved "On the Banks of Plum Creek," especially the part with the Christmas gift tree where Laura gets her fur cape. One of my biggest dreams is to visit the Little House Museum in Mansfield, Missouri. It's really not that far from where I live (10-hour drive), so hopefully I'll get there someday!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I got to visit the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum in Minnesota when I was visiting my friend. It was really neat!

Bearette, the First Four Years was about Laura's marriage to Almanzo... but I agree with Bdogg...Laura didn't seem to be the same person in that book.

The whole thing about the ribbon colors made an impression on me, too! For the longest time I thought red and pink wouldn't look good on me because my hair is blonde. ;-)

9:05 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Ooh, I'm so jealous!

I have my original set from when I was a child as well. The Christmas I got them, I actually went to sleep with them on my bed with me. I remember being so excited!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bdogg, we must be kindred spirits. ;-)

10:30 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

I was thinking the same thing!!! :)

4:44 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

This is awesome stuff! You have great taste. :)`

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home