Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Butternut squash, snow, and other late-night tidbits

It's after 1 a.m. and I can't sleep. I told Bearette I would post my recipe for Butternut Squah & Red Pepper casserole, so I thought I'd make productive use of my insomnia. It is delicious (the casserole, not the sleeplessness).

I'm typing in the dark, so please forgive likely typos:

3 1/2 lbs butternut squash
2 large red peppers
3 T. olive oil (I sometimes use more)
2 large cloves fresh minced garlic
3 T. fresh parsely, minced
1 1/2 t. minced fresh rosemary (definitely use fresh if you have it!)
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash crosswise into 2-inch thick slices, then cut slices into 1-inch cubes (about 9 cups). Cut peppers into 1-inch pieces.
In large bowl, stir together red pepper and squash.

In a small bowl, mix olive oil, garlic, parsley, rosemary, and ground pepper. Pour over squash mixture and stir.

Transfer mixture to a 2-2 1/2 quart gratin dish (or other shallow baking dish) and sprinkle evenly with parmesan.

Bake on middle rack until squash is tender and top is golden, about 1 hour.
(serves six as a side dish)


We got snow today. I made it home from work without too many delays. I was the first one home, which rarely happens, so I got to take Alex on his walk. The snow was covering all the streets, buildings, and trees and looked lovely, even in the dark. Even someone who hates the cold has to admit how beautiful a new snow is. I was happy that I got to walk Alex while it was still all clean and unbroken. He loves the snow and was very frisky, jumping and prancing down the street. This is his third winter, but last year it seemed like he didn't remember seeing snow before. He got very excited. For some reason he liked to put his chin on the ground and push himself along like a snow plow, burying his head.

On Friday I ordered my sister a gift card for Express (her favorite store). Tonight she called me from NYC and said, "Guess where I'm going!" The card had already arrived, which seemed amazingly fast to me. It turns out that she was literally on her way there. She sounded a little breathless, and then I heard a car honk and realized she was walking to the store at the very moment. She already knew what she was going to buy. :-)

I don't know why I can't sleep. I was so tired after dinner that I dozed off on the couch for a while, and M practically had to carry me upstairs. But once in bed my mind was full of thoughts and I couldn't drift off. Sometimes I think I do it to myself... I sense that I will not be able to fall asleep and I start thinking about things that make me upset or anxious. For example, I'll start remembering when I had to put my old dog to sleep. Or tonight-- I started thinking about a fight I had with a good friend months ago, wondering if we've ever truly gotten past it.

I guess I'll stay online until I'm sleepy and hope I have a delay at work tomorrow morning. But the more likely outcome is that there will be no delay and I'll have to leave at 7 a.m. like usual and just yawn my way through the day. M, on the other hand, works for the public schools and will likely have a delay or a free day off. Grrr..

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Liz, that looks great. Thank you for posting it! I hope you got to sleep at a decent hour. The snow sounds so pretty...

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home