Monday, December 05, 2005

Sober Jazz vs. Drunk Jazz

On Saturday night M and I went to Blues Alley in Georgetown to see bass guitar legend Stanley Clarke. Blues Alley is a great place to go if you like jazz in an intimate setting. It's small, dark (sometimes you have to hold the candle over your plate to see what you're eating), and close quarters. At one point during the performance, the woman to my left was reaching for her purse and grabbed my foot instead. After the show she apologized and we laughed about it. "Don't worry," I said, "There are worse things you could grab."

The only downside to the evening was having to wait outside to get in. In the past we've always opted for the later 10 p.m. show, which means that you have to line up outside in the alley and wait for the earlier performance to let out. To get a good table we got in line at 9:25. My toes were numb when we finally got inside.

While our wine was being poured M and I were laughing about a time several years ago at another jazz club. I had been drinking cosmos and didn't realize I was drunk until we stood up to leave (has that ever happened to you?). I grabbed on to M's arm and he started helping me towards the door. Suddenly I realized that people were yelling and motioning at me, but they seemed to be moving in slow motion and I couldn't figure out what they were saying. After what seemed like an eternity I realized that I had left my purse at the table. I think I was smiling and nodding at the man in front of me, saying "Yesh... my pursh....", trying to figure out how I was going to walk back to the table and get it. Thankfully, M had already gone for it. Thankfully I didn't realize he'd let go of me, or I probably would have fallen into that nice man's lap.

Lovely.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Sit-down drinking gets me every time.

Are you enjoying your snowstorm?

1:27 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Hehe ;) I love cosmos. That has definitely happened to me...you stand up and the room starts spinning.

Have you ever been to Tryst? I love it. Their brownies...mmm.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

The snowstorm was lovely, but alas, not enough to get me a snow day!

Bearette- no, I haven't been to Tryst. But if their brownies are that good, I will give it a try!

2:48 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

They have good salads too ;)

4:41 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

It only takes me two drinks to get a good buzz, so I know where you're coming from, sister!

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home