Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Commuting Fun!

The traffic was bad this morning, so I started scribbling down interesting license plates and pondering their meanings. Now you will be subjected to them. Sorry.

Feel free to contribute your thoughts on the following license plate stumpers:


HAR CAR

  • What do you think? It could be HAR as in laughter, like “har har har!”. Maybe this lady is just really funny. And so is her car. But if she was laughing in that traffic jam this morning, she is a freak of nature. Har!


  • Could it be that she is from another part of the country, and HAR means HER? Someone tell me where “her” would be pronounced “har” and I will build my theory around that. In this case, the woman is stating the obvious, that the vehicle she is driving is indeed HER CAR.


  • Maybe the woman is a hair stylist, and this is supposed to mean HAIR CARE. Except I stole a peek at her hair, and it wasn’t that impressive. However, this would be like people expecting me, a librarian, to be reading War and Peace, when actually I am planning to read People magazine during lunch. Are hair stylists required to be fabulously done-up every single day?

  • Maybe it’s an acronym. One of my favorite games is to make acronyms out of short phrases or sentences. For example, one that I coined way back is TIL, which means “Teens In Love”. You sometimes spot TILs walking with their hands in each other’s back pockets, French kissing in line at the movies and swapping bubble gum (See also: PTIL, or “Pre-Teens In Love”). HAR could be an acronym for “Hot-Ass Racing”, as in, “Hot-Ass Racing Car.” But since our maximum speed was about 12 mph, I didn’t get to observe racing of any kind. Other acronymical ideas?

CAPS FAN

My first thought was that this woman is a Washington Capitals fan, which would make sense. But that’s too easy and boring!

Instead, I have come up with these very likely acronym possibilities:

  • Center for the Analysis and Prediction of Storms Fan
    Gads! This car could belong to Washington’s own Bob Ryan!


  • Command Action Planning Supervisor Fan
    Hmm... maybe someone who works here?


  • Coastal Area Protection Snafus Fan
    Mr. Brown, is that you?

And lastly,

CSKT CRW

Okay, you tell me. I am praying this driver works for a funeral home. Because according to acronymfinder.com, the only other possibility on file is "Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes".

Now the question is: do you want a funeral home that has a sense of humor?

11 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

I like TIL.

I'm going to say:

hair care

Washington Capitals fan (sorry!)

casket crew

;)

And also, it is nice that you sublimated frustration with traffic into word games :)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

And I think hairstylists often have awful hair. The most common error is hair dyed a red that is not found in nature.

11:50 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Ha!

Those were good. Man, I was too sleepy to notice license plates this morning. Plus, for me traffic isn't bad anymore since I don't have to drive on the freeway!

I want to see pics of the starry night PJs!!! I LOVE STARS!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Hairstylists have some scary hair sometimes. I think they get bored and just start playing around....hmmm, this would be interesting.

I think morticians have to have a sense of humor in order to not go crazy. I knew a family friend that is a mortician and he used to have lots of fun doing the makeup on the deceased. He would talk to them. And sometimes they would "talk" back. He lifted this one woman up to a sitting position to move her, and the trapped air in her chest escaped causing her to make a noise. Creeepy! That would have been the end of that career for me. Instead, he thought it was hilarious!

roxanne

4:49 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Okay, someone I knew in college used to have this license plate. Who can guess what it means?

EBTITEL

4:57 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I'm stumped.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

My high school global studies teacher used to say he wanted a personalized plate that read:

"HI HO AG"

"AG" is the abbreviation for silver.

He was a funny man.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Frema-- LOL :)

My friend's license plate, EBTITEL, was the Beatles song title "Let it Be", backwards.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

That was tough!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I was driving behind a car today with the plate...1NU LUNG. I'm guessing they are a lung transplant recipient. I was looking to see if they were smoking or not. Didn't see anyone puffin'. That would have been a hoot though!

roxanne

5:21 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Heh- that's a good one.

Someone in my 'hood has a huge truck that's very loud-- his license plate is an abbreviation of "OBNOXIOUS".

Yep.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home