Monday, January 02, 2006

Don't YOU want to move to Florida?

So asketh my parents.

Since building their dream home on Florida's East coast and moving into it in May, they have been full of helpful comparisons between D.C. and the Sunshine State.

First of all, did you know that we would enjoy warmer weather if we moved there? No, seriously! The weather gets warmer as you go South! Who knew?

And apparently we could buy a mansion there that would rival Cinderella's Disney World castle for what we pay for our smaller home in the DC area. And heating costs would be lower! Because it's warmer there!

And M and I would not have to worry about finding jobs there. Did you know that besides being warm, Florida has both social workers and librarians? And bands that M could join? Presto!

Florida can also make tons of julienne fries in seconds!

My parents really want us to move to Florida. Although FL wasn't one of the places I lived in growing up, we always went for visits and vacations because both of my parents grew up in Daytona Beach. Oddly enough, it does feel like home.

But also, they have alligators there. Seriously, one lives in the pond across the street from my parents' house. I had a nightmare that it ate the dog, and now we will speak of alligators no more. I mean it. I think I may now be officially "scared" of them.

Anyhow, there are no plans to move to Florida, but I was feeling nostalgic for it when we were heading north on the way home. As soon as we hit North Carolina we suddenly had other northbound DC'ers, Virginians, and Marylanders tailing us and zooming past us like kooks. In Florida? People are actually polite for the most part! People don't tail you or cut you off! And maybe it's because most of them are too old to have road rage, but still. The lovely traveling experiences there were almost enough to make me trade it all in for palm trees.



Alex at sea.


Here's me pretending that I have a real child.



Sunrise in my parents' back yard.



Don't you want to move to Florida?

15 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

What beautiful pictures! I kind of want to move to Florida now, too.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Parts of it are very tempting, I will admit!

8:56 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

I do! I do!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

I saw yellow snow during the holidays. Well, not really. But I could have. There was no chance for palm trees.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

No. I want to move back to DC! Just think of all you would miss if you moved to Florida---the Smithsonian museums, the Mall in Spring, Dupont Circle, the adventure of getting lost in Anacostia in the wee hours, cherry blossoms, good (not great) restaurants from countries you've never even heard of, zoned taxi rides, baby pandas, . . .

4:15 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

All right! I will stay for baby Tai Shan, and for no other reason!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

After that picture in your parents backyard....who could resist? It is sweet though that your parents love you that much. And your doggie IS your child. Every couple should own one before having kids.

roxanne

5:06 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Liz, have you seen Tai Shan at the zoo yet? My husband is a panda fanatic. We went to DC a year or two ago and saw the pandas. In San Diego, the zoo is a little more anal and we stood in line to watch them multiple times. He got concerned about one of the pandas' well-being and asked the panda woman, "Is Ling Ling depressed?" (Can't remember the name, but that's close.) I swear, he was a panda in a past life ;)

5:48 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bearette- no, I haven't seen Tai Shan yet. You still need tickets for specified viewing times, although the tickets are free (did you hear about how people were selling the first ones on eBay for $$$$?)

Roxanne- thanks for making me feel normal for having a dog-child. ;-)

8:39 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

D heard it went up to $200. I also heard about a girl who was willing to do naughty things if someone would take her to see the panda! ;)

That was on Kim's blog, actually.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Kim's not that girl. :)

10:23 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

LOL! ;-)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Oh, I checked The Tree Grows in Brooklyn...in the laundry room. It's a paperback 1992 Harper Perennial edition. And there's a little dirt on the back cover! Oh well. I hope you find the first edition someday.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Oh well; thanks for checking. I guess I can't expect to find such a treasure in a laundry room...

8:41 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I brushed off the dirt from the back cover and took it from the laundry room library. I figured it deserved a better home ;) Maybe I'll reread it.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home