Friday, January 06, 2006

SuperWife on the Prairie

(**Edited to correct the spelling of "prairie" in the entry title. Don't be too hard on me. After all, I only get to attend school when I live within 5 miles of town, and sometimes it can be hard to make it when there's a blizzard...)

The other day I was feeling very wifely and I decided to mend the cuff of one of my husband's shirts. Not that I am a master seamstress, but I can do some basic sewing. Plus, he asked me about it almost two months ago, so I figured there was no time like the two-month-overdue present.

I seized the shirt and a spool of thread and settled down to pretend that I was Laura Ingalls in the town shirt store. As I pricked my fingers and lost the thread, I muttered bad words and told myself, "Mary must go to college! MARY MUST GO TO COLLEGE!"

I did a fairly good job, if I do say so myself. I hung his shirt on the hanger and gave it a brisk shake shake. Perfect.

I was feeling ambitious. My eyes fell on my wool coat, which was missing one button and had several loose buttons. I grabbed the coat, an extra button, and a spool of black thread and went at it like a maniac. Mary's blind! Mary must go to college!

I almost convinced myself that I was going to collect 25 cents at the end of the day and head home for some salt pork and soda bread. Those who claim that imagination diminishes with age have never met me.

So I finished my coat, Mary got 25 cents closer to college, and all was well. Until this morning, that is. I went to put on my wool coat and discovered that I had sewn the buttons on so tightly, I couldn't get them through the button holes. Apparently I was so rabid over the lack of financial support for the education of blind women, I was sewing with superhuman strength.

As I was walking outside this morning with my coat flapping open I felt the biting chill and fixed my face in what I hoped was a look of grim determination. You see, it was the long winter, and I was lost on the open prarie. My muffler was driven full of ice and I could barely see, but I was determined to make it to my presentation on time...

Tune in tomorrow when I will sew lace trim for a petticoat and help Pa with the haying.

8 Comments:

Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Were you wearing your itchy red flannel underwear? It can save you in a blizzard, you know!

Make sure you bathe your eyes so they don't get irritated from the snowstorm.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

And watch out for the locusts!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

And for horses coming down through the earthen roof...

10:40 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Man, we're a bunch of dorks, aren't we?

4:05 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

But we're dorks united in our Laura Ingalls wannabe fantasies...

4:24 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

Good times. :)

9:02 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Speaking of dorks, Liz, you're not gonna believe what I bought off eBay--an ex-library copy of "The Long Winter," copyright 1940, with the original Helen Sewell illustrations!

One of the pages has been ripped out, and it's not in the best condition, but man! It's awesome! My goal is to eventually have all of the "Little House" books with the original Helen Sewell illustrations--I like them so much better...

9:36 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bdogg-

I. Am. So. JEALOUS!

Will you post some pictures of it on your blog?

I am filled with excitement for you!!!!!

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home