Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Two Memes-- one to read, and one to try

This is a two-parter. First, I was tagged by Bearette for a meme, which is below. Also, I decided to make up a meme of my own. I had dinner with my dad last night, who was in town on business, and I think it made me nostalgic for childhood. And I'm tagging.... ALL OF YOU! Mwah ha ha!!!


Meme Time:

7 things I’d like to do before I die:

Do more traveling with my husband
Have a family
Learn how to make my own furniture
Raise a goat
Own and fix up an old house
Go hang gliding
Feed a bottle to a baby tiger

7 things I (currently) cannot do:

Ride a skateboard
Lay a hardwood floor
Tame lions
Paint my fingernails without goofing
Watch Extreme Home Makeover without crying
Read cards in the Hallmark store without crying
Go a week without crying

7 things that attract me to blogging:

Making new friends
Acquiring new perspectives
Having a creative outlet
Comments from readers
The inevitable laughter
Feeling in touch with other parts of the country and world
Allowing people I already know a glimpse into my life that they might not have had otherwise.

7 things I say most often:

Good Lord.
Wha?
My little Boo is the sweetest dog in the world, aren’t you, Boo?
Dammit!
I love you.
The bathroom is down the hall to the right…
We don’t actually have a “card catalog” anymore…

7 books I love

East of Eden
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Anne of Green Gables
Little House on the Prairie
The Amateur Marriage
Charlotte’s Web
Grapes of Wrath

7 movies I watch over and over again:

When Harry Met Sally
Sleepless in Seattle
Private Parts
Anne of Green Gables
Life Is Beautiful
Dead Poets Society
Lean on Me


Kid n' Play meme (don't you love the name?):

1. What is one of your earliest childhood memories?

My mom used to dry the clothes outside when the weather was nice. I used to love pulling down the fitted sheets and putting my head in one of the corner pockets, then running through the yard with the sheet flying out behind me.


2. What was your favorite toy?

Probably my teddy bear, Wilbur (named after the pig in Charlotte's Web, of course)


3. Was there something you always wanted for a birthday or holiday, but didn’t get?

I longed for an EZ-Bake Oven, but alas, 'twas not meant to be.


4. What did your parents always say or do that drove you crazy?

My brother and sister and I used to say, hey! There's Mother's Day and Father's Day, but no Kid's Day! No fair! And my dad would retort, "Every day is kid's day."

Also, anytime we said we wanted something that we weren't going to get, my mom would sing the Dream, Dream, Dream song by the Everly Brothers. To this day I don't like that song very much, and that's a shame.


5. What did you do as a little kid that would give you a heart attack if your own kids did it?

We used to play a game on the swing set that we called "Danger Crossing". Two of us would swing, pumping at opposite times, and the third sibling would have to run between the swings without getting clocked on the head. Brutal.


6. Was there a moment in your childhood that seemed mortifying at the time, but which seems kinda silly now?

Once in first grade my teacher asked how we could tell which way the wind was blowing when we looked outside. Other kids said things like, "By looking at the trees", or "By looking at the flag on the flag pole." I thought she wanted to know literally how we could tell if the wind was blowing north, south, east, or west, so I raised my hand and said that you could tell by looking at the sun.

The teacher asked me what I meant. I wanted to explain that if the wind was blowing the flag towards the rising sun, you knew the wind was blowing east. Except I couldn't remember the directions in which the sun rose and set, and I didn't want to say the wrong thing, so I froze and said nothing.

"No, Liz," the teacher said, "You can't tell which way the wind is blowing by looking at the sun."

I was a shy and sensitive kid. I don't think I volunteered another answer for the rest of the school year.

Oh, the DRAMA!


7. Okay, admit it—tell us who you thought you were going to marry when you were in the under-twelve set.

Davy Jones from the Monkees
Pa from Little House on the Prairie
And there was one other that I can't think of right now...



Tagging: everyone! You know you want to...

9 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Mmm...that is a tough one requiring memory...but I will try to hack it!
;)

I think I had an EZ-Bake oven. As I remember, the stuff you could make in it was extremely limited (i.e., brownies). You didn't miss much.

9:29 PM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Wow!! I laughed so hard!

I had the EZ Bake oven too. Now that I'm thinking about it though, it was kind of weird to eat a cake baked by a lightbulb.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Exactly!

11:29 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I guess my love of cooking goes way back. I thought it was the most amazing toy ever.

I still look at them in toy stores, even though I own a real oven now. :-)

9:13 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Reminds me of the Seinfeld where Jerry dates the woman with all the retro toys and Elaine goes crazy over the EZ Bake oven and they all try to invent excuses to go over there and play with the toys....

9:38 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Speaking of retro toys...junior year, these boys lived next door with an Atari. I was *always* over there playing Frogger.

Atari beats Nintendo hands down, if you ask me.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Atari! I didn't get one of those, either. I loved to play Frogger and Pong at friends' houses.

A good friend bought one off eBay recently. I don't think she's been back to work since. ;-)

9:58 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

I remember my father reading Charlotte's Web to me when I was a kid and will always have fond memories of that book because of it.

My potential marriage partners included Joey McIntyre, Jordan Knight, Fred Savage, and Church Boy. He was the boy who sat in front of my family in--where else?--church.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Nice choices, Frema! I think I always had a little crush on Fred Savage, but in a Kevin Arnold way. ;-)

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home