Friday, February 17, 2006

Naked but with plenty of good reading material

I got three inches cut off my hair last night. When I told my hair stylist what I wanted, she literally did this:

CeCe: Gasp! (clutches chest as though having myocardial infarction*)

When I get around to getting a haircut every two months or so, I tell her, "Just a trim!" or, "One inch.... maybe one and a half, tops." I'm pretty same-same. She almost lost it three years ago when I told her I was growing my bangs out, maybe because I'd had them since I was six years old.

So when I told her to take three inches off, she said, "So I'll take 3 off the longest part in the back, and 3 off the shorter layers in the front?"

I squeezed my eyes shut and whimpered, "Yes."

She was very proud of me. I kind of felt like a badass after.

But today I feel naked without all of my hair. Yes, that's what the "naked" in subject line refers to; I am fully clothed (you dirty birdies). It does feel strange, but I can brush my hair so much faster now. Really, it's like .5 seconds and I'm done!

In other news, I am listening to The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing on CD, and I have a feeling I'm going to suffer from withdrawal when I get to the last disc. I'm also reading Dog Days (Ana Marie Cox), which is kind of eh, and Behaving Like Adults (Anna Maxted), which I'm liking a lot. When I checked out the latter from the library the 60-ish library clerk looked at the title and said, "Behave like an adult? No thank you."


* Can you tell that a certain someone is taking a medical terminology class? Hmmmmm?

10 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

i was wondering why you linked to the national health institute ;)

i'm the same with haircuts...always just a trim.

i like anna maxted. she has a new book coming out, "a tale of two sisters." and girls' guide is awesome, of course.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Girls' Guide is being made into a movie with Sarah Michelle Gellar as the lead. I may have to reread the book before I see the movie. As much as I love SMG, I'm not sure I see her as the lead in GG.

And I know what you mean with the hair. I tend to let my hair grow out for about 6-8 months and then get like 5 inches lobbed off at once. Each time I do it, the first time I wash my hair, I'm always like, "Where the heck is the rest of my hair?"

3:38 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Eek. I totally don't see her as the lead. For some reason, maybe Jennifer Love Hewitt. But not SMG. She's just not insecure enough.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Cole said...

I'm proud of you, too. Changing your hair can be scary!

You're lucky though. The girl who cuts my hair just ran off. MaryAnne, the queen of hair, left without a trace. We've been desperately searching for her. But since Great Clips refuses to give us any information, the search isn't going great. I've needed a cut for about 3 weeks (and my hair grows very fast!).

About SMG, I believe that she's going to prove to be a very, very versatile actress. She'll pull off just about anything.

It's so nice to read your blog again!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hi Cole! Welcome back from your hiatus. ;-)

Bearette, I agree with you. I can't see SMG as Jane at all. I don't like her very much. Maybe it's because M used to be madly in love with her. He tried to justify it by saying that he thinks we resemble each other, but that's nonsense. :-)

9:14 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I find myself not liking famous people that my hubby drools over. He has this thing for Jody Foster. I always have to bring up her very homely Freaky Friday stage.

I think SMG is a good actress but not all the rage that people have made her out to be. It's her looks that have allowed her to get this far in her career.

I don't like "Buffy" for the same reason as you (hubby has a thing for her too).

And on the hair issue....you're so brave! Hope you like your newfound nakedness. I'm known for growing my hair out only to chop it all off again. So I know what you're feeling.

roxanne

10:00 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

M also has a thing for Sheryl Crow (actually, I think SMG was the only non-redhead on his list for quite a while. The list also included Roma Downey and Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, both of which have been retired now...).

But I kinda have a crush on Sheryl Crow, too, so I don't mind that one too much. ;-)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Liz - You are much cooler than Buffy ;)

11:18 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

Good for you for branching out! In December '04, I went to the salon with a sudden inspiration to go from shoulder-length to just-above-the-jaw length. A very scary move, but now I can't imagine having longer hair. I'm growing it out some for the wedding, but afterwards, I'll chop it short again.

Also, Luke has had infatuations with Minnie Driver and Jennifer Aniston. And Shakira, as he just so lovingly informed me.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I am an SMG fan, although only for Buffy. She really hasn't made the best movie choices. But she can cry better than anyone. I can't watch a scene in which she's crying without getting seriously weepy myself.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home