Monday, February 27, 2006

Ode to Kale

A new Thai restaurant recently opened in our neighborhood, so we enjoyed some wonderful food there on Friday night. On Saturday afternoon I made Crystal's ginger-peanut tofu salad wraps for lunch. That night we had Mexican (and tequila, of course) at a friend's house. Last night I made a delicious vegetable soup, perfect for a cold, windy night.

It was a delectable weekend.

Here is the recipe for the vegetable soup, from Bon Appétite. I found it when I was looking for recipes using kale. Kale has recently earned a place on my Top 5 Favorite Vegetables list, mostly because I love the texture and I feel so healthy when I eat it. I love to sautee it lightly in a bit of olive oil, fresh grated ginger, and minced garlic, with some toasted sesame seeds on top. Kale, how I love thee.


White Bean, Kale, and Roasted Vegetable Soup

3 medium carrots, peeled, quartered lengthwise
2 large tomatoes, quartered
1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
(I used the entire squash, because butternut is also on my top 5 list!)
6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 cups (or more) vegetable broth
4 cups finely chopped kale
3 large fresh thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
1 15-ounce can Great Northern beans, drained


Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray rimmed baking sheet with oil spray. Arrange carrots, tomatoes, onion, squash and garlic on sheet. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Bake until vegetables are brown and tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.

Transfer carrots and squash to work surface. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces; set aside. Peel garlic cloves; place in processor. Add tomatoes and onion; puree until almost smooth. Pour 1/2 cup broth onto baking sheet; scrape up any browned bits. Transfer broth and vegetable puree to large pot. Add 5 1/2 cups broth, kale, thyme and bay leaf to pot; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered until kale is tender, about 30 minutes.

Add beans and reserved carrots and squash to soup. Simmer 8 minutes to blend flavors, adding more broth to thin soup if necessary (I added two cups). Season with salt and pepper. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to simmer before serving.)

Serves 6.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Woo! Kale and butternut squash make my top 5, too. Thanks for the recipe.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Yummm! I think I shall go shopping tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe.

roxanne

10:46 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

That sounds divine and very healthy! I love eating soup at this time of year.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Sounds awesome. I have to make this. I'm a huge kale fan too.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

I've always been a little scared of kale. It's so tough looking. However, I recently deceided to master it and now I love it. I know what you mean about making you feel so healthy and it's a nice alternative to broccoli which I eat way to much of.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I used to eat broccoli almost every day, but recently I've been avoiding it. It's funny how you can all of a sudden get your fill of something.

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home