Thursday, February 16, 2006

Overheard in the Ether:

I feel a little bit fancy because I went out and got a manicure during my lunch break today. I’m not accustomed to getting manicures. Something about paying $12 for something that will only last a few days tastes a little sinful to me. And I’m hard on my hands—I do all kinds of naughty things without gloves on. Like using undiluted bleach to clean the bathroom floor.

Cringe.

Today my dry, cracked, bleeding cuticles (even my fingers hate the cold!) stared up at me from the keyboard and cried, “Why? Why did you butcher us with the cuticle scissors last night? Why can’t you just admit that you are a dumbass when it comes to anything beyond a nail file and clear, goof-proof polish?”

And I said, “Lo! Do not despair, cuticles. Forgive me, for I have sinned. To repent, I will produce many loaves and fishes from this worry stone on my desk.”

My cuticles said, “How about some goddamn lotion?”

And so I had to one-up those uppity cuticles and go for a manicure.

I emailed M to tell him about my lunchtime extravagance.


Liz: I finally got fed up and went to get a quick manicure during lunch. They fixed me up real nice. The color I got is called "Candles on My Cake". :-)

M: I’m glad to see that you were willing to spend a little money on yourself, and that they were able to patch you up. I like the name of the nail polish...are your nails: pink, yellow, and blue? ha ha...

Liz: Actually- they're on fire, and just when I think I've blown them out, the flames come back.

M: Must be "Trick Candles on My Cake".

Liz: Hee.

11 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Why is there no middle ground with Blogger? Why must the type be either microscopic or huge? And why does the button at the top say "Preview", when the "preview" looks nothing like what appears online in the end? Sorry if some of you got an update notification 20 times in a row- I was just trying to play nice with Blogger.

I do not like you, Blogger.
makes mean, growly face

2:46 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I used to love getting manicures! I could justify it when I worked in DC. Now, not so much. Rowen gets manicures more often than I do.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

hehe..i've never had a manicure. i always paint my toenails though. either cranberry or purple.

d hates "bloomie nails" because they replaced one of our favorite restaurants ;)

4:13 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I can understand D's feelings. :-) Nail salons seem to be a dime a dozen!

I don't even care about the nail polish... I would pay them just to clean up my cuticles. I am terrified of cutting my own cuticles but sometimes I am driven to it-- often with bloody results.
:-(

4:24 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

There are some places that will do just a "clean up"---trim your nails, clip your cuticles, maybe slap on a coat of clear---for less than the full manicure price.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

I love manicures. My favorite part of the whole thing was getting hand massages with exfoliating lotion. Heaven.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Lisa- I didn't know that! I'll have to check into it... thanks.

9:18 AM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

I love the name of the your nail polish - what colour is it exactly?

Next time, you have to get the paraffin wax treatment...it makes your hands so soft!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Vernicious- it's a shade of red. I would have guessed pink. Have never tried the paraffin wax treatment-- is it good for dry skin?

9:38 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Also- nice avatar!

9:38 AM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed red at all. Nice choice. Red always makes your hands look so elegant, like a 1940s starlet :)

Paraffin wax is EXCELLENT for dry skin - your hands will stay feeling soft and moisturised for weeks.

I finally got around to uploading an avatar...lazy me :p

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home