Friday, February 10, 2006

You look lovely from behind...

Here's the other library encounter I promised to share.

I used to work in a different library where an elderly Indian man would come to visit me at the desk. He liked to come in and read the Wall Street Journal. He'd stop by, say hello, and shuffle slowly to the periodicals section.

After a while I noticed that he was watching me whenever I passed through the periodicals area, his brown eyes just barely visible over the top of the paper.

One day he stopped at the desk and told me that I had a lovely neck.

"I'm sorry, how can I help you?" I asked. I thought I must have misunderstood him.

"Your neck- it is very long and nice."

"Huh?" I pulled the wings of my shirt collar closer together. "Uh... I really don't think anyone's ever said that to me before. "

"You are welcome," he said, and bowed.

A few days later I went into the periodicals room to help a student with a microfilm reader. I bent and struggled with the machine for a few minutes, finally fixing whatever the problem was. As I straightened and turned to leave, I saw the man sitting across the room from me, his eyes peeping over the top of the Journal.

As I passed by I heard him say, "Hello."

"Hello," I said cheerily, and kept moving toward the exit.

"You know," he said, "You look lovely from behind."

I stopped. Turned slowly towards him. Said, "I'm sorry?"

"I said, you look lovely from behind. As well as from the front, and all around."

I said nothing. No words would come out of my mouth.

Finally: "I have to go."

And I went back to the desk, where I shared the story with a co-worker.

Her eyes widened. "Are you scared of him? What if you see him outside?"

I told her I was pretty sure I could out-run him.

7 Comments:

Blogger verniciousknids said...

Our world is full of interesting characters!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

Did THAT guy ever show up again? That's just creepy!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Now we have more characters to fit into this movie! We can definitely not leave this guy out of the mix.

I would have been so freaked out though. At least you had the confidence that you could take him on if necessary.

roxanne

10:20 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I think he was really a kind but slightly perverted old man. I escaped him when I transfered to another library. (that wasn't the reason for the move, though)

You all wouldn't believe the interesting people who come into libraries. Remind me to tell you sometime about the weird guys who would sit and watch the girls who shelved books in the public library (one of my high school jobs)...eeeeeesh!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

men are perverts, just no way around it ;)

4:12 PM  
Anonymous melissa said...

bet you wear lots of turtlenecks now!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Come to think of it, Melissa, I do wear a lot of turtlenecks. In fact, I am wearing a red turtleneck sweater right now.

Anyone know a good therapist specializing in neck issues?

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home