Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Baby remember my name

Last night I went to my usual step class at the gym. At the end the instructor announced, “Don’t forget the new dance aerobics class that’s coming up next- it’s so much fun!”

And I thought, hey! I like to dance. Why not? (I felt very brave and spontaneous!)

So I put my towel and water bottle back down and took a spot three feet to the left of a giant column. For step that would have been okay. For dance, not okay. But I’ll learn that lesson in a few minutes.

The instructor bounded into the room, full of energy. “WOOOOO HOOOOO!” she yelled. “My name’s VICKI!! Who’s ready to dance?”

“YEAH!” I yelled back. A few people looked at me.

She bounced from foot to foot. “Is this anyone’s first time?”

First time? Wasn’t it a brand new class?

I raised my hand. Some people clapped for me. I heard a couple of girls say, “Awwww!” in an affectionate way. What, I thought, am I starting kindergarten or something?

“OKAY!!” Vicki yelled, “LET’S DO IT!”

I very quickly realized that the class had already met several times working on the same routine, because almost immediately I was three steps behind everyone else. But I gamely struggled along and tried to copy what Vicki and the lady in front of me were doing. Vicki yelled out little clues to help us remember the moves, like “MAMBO CHA CHA!!!” and “SEXY HIPS!!!” And eventually… I was getting it! Suddenly my arms and legs were doing the same thing as everyone else’s! And it was fun! And then...

SMACK!

As I was stomping backwards and doing my “FUNKY TRIBAL ARMS!”, I smashed my right hand against the column. Tears sprang into my eyes, it really did hurt, but I kept going. No one saw what I’d done. Or maybe they did see, but they thought I was some hard-core dancer. I thought maybe someone would try to copy me and slam a foot or a head against the wall, but no one did.

We finished one part of the routine and started on another part. I was catching on to that one pretty quickly, until suddenly Vicki yelled something like, “TEN LORDS A-LEAPIN’!!!” and suddenly everyone was leaping across the room like they were in Fame.

Now I’ll have to go back next week, if only so I can keep my arms firmly at my sides when Vicki asks if it’s anyone’s first time. I take comfort in the familiar, as much as that annoys the heck out of me.

20 Comments:

Blogger ChrisWoznitza said...

Hi I´m Chriswab. Greatings from Germany,Bottrop !!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Sounds like a fun class! I wish my gym had a dance class. I did just get the NY City Ballet workout DVD, though.

Maybe I'll put on my Fame DVD tonight and dance around my apartment.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Would you believe I've never seen Fame? When I read about the column, I was like, "Oh no." I hope it didn't hurt too much. The instructor sounds like a hoot ;)

3:21 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Lisa- it was embarrassing when they all started leaping! I was caught totally off-guard. It was like the scene in Dirty Dancing when Baby's doing her first real dance with Johnny. She misses some step and just starts doing that awkward, thumb-pointing chicken dance instead.

That's kind of what I looked like.
[bangs head on desk]

3:29 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bearette- I've had her for step classes before, but her personality was totally different in the dance class. She was also all decked out in funky dance clothes. :)

3:55 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

the dance classes at a gym are hard. fortunately i am usually next to someone who knows exactly what she is doing.

i just saw jane seymour on TV! a friend of mine in college called her a "recycled ho"...LOL ;)

6:36 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

A recycled ho? What does that mean?

Tell me, quick. M used to have her on his affair list and I want to burst out laughing in the worst way...

;)

7:17 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I will try to find a G-rated way to translate, since this is a family blog ;)

This girl liked to talk in an exaggerated "street" way, so here goes...

"ho" is short for wh**re
"recycled" in this context means well-used; a ho who has circulated many times, like a popular book in the library. Many people have, ahem, taken the book out.

:)

7:29 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

M will be devastated.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Oops, I put an extra asterisk in there. But you get the general idea ;)

7:30 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Haha...I believe she was off his list anyway...

7:31 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Yes, she's off the list. :)

Update on the lists: We've agreed to share Lisa Loeb. I think she's adorable. When I needed new reading glasses a couple of months ago I even tried to find some like hers, but they all looked pretty bad on me. I got purple ones instead. :)

7:36 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

So you have purple glasses? I think it's photo time ;)

Lisa Loeb actually went to my college. I never met her, because she was a few years ahead, but an old man who worked at the snack bar with me liked her. He blushed whenever her name was mentioned.

9:59 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

You've referenced two great movies - Fame and Dirty Dancing. I had such a thing for Leroy (on the TV show) when I was a kid :p and I totally have the song running through my head now!

Excellent definition work bearette - are you a librarian as well as a yoga goddess?!

Lisa Loeb does have great glasses!

Liz have you changed your blog template?!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

hee...i'm an inner librarian
;)

12:16 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Everyone has an inner librarian just yearning to escape!

I am playing with my template. Advance apologies for all the mess that's sure to come. HTML gives me a big fat headache sometimes.

1:17 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Liz, you're braver than I am. I'm afraid to play with my template much because I'm worried that I'll screw something up and not know how to fix it! Is that HTMLaphobia?

3:06 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Suzy - i believe it is ;)

Liz - it looks cute! maybe there should be 10 lords leaping in the background...

3:16 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

i love all the food sites too...you definitely are a gourmet girl ;)

3:20 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I think I left some sites off my list when I changed the site. I'll have to double-check...

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home