Saturday, March 25, 2006

Blunking again... sorry

It's time for everyone's favorite passtime... blunking! Or was it "drogging"? Help me out, Vernicious...

Anyhow, blunking, or "drunk" "blogging" is great fun. You type many random thoughts and make many typos. You may or may not catch them before you hit the publish button.

By the way, have you ever noticed how many people overuse quotation marks? Like ME, perhaps? Like sometimes you see signs at restaurants that say:

Hamburger "Special"!
Only "$3.99!"

Now I will ask for help from editor Lisa. Was my use of quotation marks for the purpose of sarcasm appropriate in the above paragraph? I used quotes around "drunk" to indicate that I am most certainly NOT drunk, while I most certainly AM. But I also used quotes around blogging, for what reason I cannot say. Because I am most certainly blogging.

So tonight my husband is at a bachelor party. I waited too long and when I called my friends they had plans. So I am at home entertaining myself! Which involves a cab-shiraz blend, an excellent movie titled "The Sperm and The Whale" (starring Jeff Daniels and Laura Linney) which I just finished (I loved this movie), and now, all of you! And later there I may throw a caramel-walnut brownie into the mix, which I have only been thinking about ALL DAY.

I was flipping through a magazine from one of our area hospitals a moment ago when I saw an advertisement for a class titled, "Thinking of Having a Baby?"

"HI!" I said to the magazine. "Yes, I have been THINKING about having a baby for the last six years! You are very timely."

Then I saw that a portion of the class focuses on having a baby "after 30."

I'm sorry if I'm a quotation mark abuser, but I was a little taken aback. After 30? What the fuck?

I thought 30 was the new 20. Heck, I've heard people say that 40 is the new 20. In fact, I heard someone on the metro say that very thing on Friday. And I believe that stranger!

Is "after 30" so old that there really needs to be a special class about it? Sheesh. I'm feeling old and wrinkly all of a sudden. (I even put anti-wrinkle cream under my eyes tonight. Do not laugh.)

I guess I'll go get another "glass" of "wine" and think about my eggs turning into dust.

13 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

hehe...i heard once that the medical term for a first-time mother after 30 is "elderly primipara." Don't worry, I will definitely be an elderly primipara, if I ever get around to having kids.

I was at a bridal shower, and D is at an in-law thingy in Philly! I came home early and I'm watching Mr. Deeds on TV ;)

10:17 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

hee...isn't that the SQUID and the whale ?? ;)

10:20 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bearette, you are right- I must have reproduction on my mind. It is indeed The SQUID and the Whale.

Please excuse me while I die laughing in a heap on the floor.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

LOL!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I've blunked before, but couldn't stand not to fix my typos, even drunk.

I think anything past 36 is considered "Advanced Maternal Age." Yeesh.

11:41 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

I am "laughing" so hard right now...between the "sperm" "squid" "whale" mixup and the random "use" of quotation "marks". Liz I think we decided on "blunking" after all, but maybe we need some "guidelines" here...if it's a "nice" drink then it's "blunking", if it's an "average" drink it's "drogging".

"elderly primipara" - that's horrid.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

My mom had me when she was 38 :)

11:07 AM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

After some intense google research it appears that both words are acceptable - especially together e.g. Tonight I will indulge in some "blunken drogging".

Cheers, or as we say in the land of the rising sun "Kampai"

Factoid of the day: "Blunking" is Norwegian for "winking" ;)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm going to let you get away with a warning this time, Ma'am. But watch those quotation marks from now on.

But I do encourage you to blunk more often.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hi, sober again. I giggled about that movie title typo all night. I tried to explain it to M when he got home but I don't think he fully appreciated how very funny it was.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

I saw the words "cab-shiraz" and started to drool.

Maybe you wrote sperm because you were thinking about eggs and babies and sperms is needed for babies. Or not.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

heather- I think you're right. :)
(be careful not to drool over your keyboard...)

1:23 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

it was very funny...i was thinking, wow, movie titles are graphic these days...then i think i actually saw an ad for the squid and the whale on dvd, and everything fell into place...;)

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home