Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Every instinct has an opposite and equal deliberate thought

Today I made plans to meet a new co-worker for lunch at a conference in Dupont Circle later this week. This is part of my continuing effort to resist my instincts. Not the good instincts, like the one that told me not to pick up the phone last night (it was a politician), but the ones that that reinforce personality traits I don’t always like.

Instinct:
Since you can’t have lunch with friends or colleagues you know well, you will go to that little salad bar down the street from the hotel and read a book while you eat lunch alone. DO NOT SOCIALIZE. DON’T YOU DARE.

Deliberate thought:
I should get to know new co-worker better. She is new to area and probably lonely. I will contact her and invite her to lunch. I WILL SOCIALIZE WITH A STRANGER. YES I WILL!

Or take the other day, for example. I had just gone outside to walk the dog when I saw my neighbor come out of his house.

Instinct:
It is sufficient to give a friendly wave. You do not need to walk over to him. You do not need to start a conversation. PRETEND LIKE THE DOG NEEDS TO BE WALKED PRONTO AND BE ON YOUR WAY, WOMAN.

Deliberate thought:
I like my neighbor. I will go talk to him. Okay, heeeeere I go. YES, I’M ABOUT TO HAVE A TOTALLY UNNECESSARY CONVERSATION WITH MY NEIGHBOR.

Right now my instinct is to skip the gym and go home.

Deliberate thought:
How much do you pay for that gym membership every month? GET THY ASS TO THE GYM AND WORK IT HAAAAARD.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I always follow my bad instincts and never listen to my good instincts. And I'm very good at rationalizing why.

5:38 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

Isn't being a woman all about rationalising our bad instincts into good ones?!

6:17 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

so did you pick up the phone when the politican called after all?

it's weird, i always test as an extrovert, but i really like a lot of introverted activities (reading, writing, etc.)

6:31 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bearette- no, I let the answering machine pick it up. :)

I don't think all my instincts are "bad", but I realize that following some of them leads me to a more solitary life. Sometimes I like that, but sometimes I don't. :)

12:13 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I soooooo am with you on this one. Something interesting though about the introvert/extrovert issue. The book that I'm currently reading says that introverts get most of their "energy" from within themselves while extroverts get theirs from other people. I always thought it just meant that intros kept things inside and extros were outspoken. I guess I need to read up some more on this. I never have tested myself to see where I fall. It might be kind of interesting to do so.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

That's right. As introverts, you and I might feel tired after going to a big, crowded party, whereas Bearette might feel energized.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

That's true, I often have trouble getting to sleep after a party or something like that. Then again, I often have trouble sleeping anyway ;)

I am reading this groovy book, Seven Types of Ambiguity - unrequited love from 7 perspectives. the narrator right now is a psychologist. i think you might like it :)

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home