Monday, March 06, 2006

In mourning

Edited to add an artistic representation of my love:


Did I ever tell you that besides being in love with Madonna and my food processor and kale, I have also been having a torrid affair with Old Navy's Perfect Fit Long-Sleeved tees in size M?

They are the best long-sleeved tees I have ever known. So soft. So comfy. Not too tight across the chest. With just enough stretch thanks to 5% Spandex. I bought two the first time in white and raspberry. Loved them so much, I went out again and bought two more, in lavender and pink.

I've thought of them ever since. I told myself over and over that I should stock up on this treasure. Because how often do you find THE PERFECT item of clothing? And at $14.50 a pop?

This weekend I finally went to the Old Navy website to see if I could order them online. And lo! I saw its image there, with a slash through the regular price of $14.50. $2.97, it said.

$2.97! And notice-me orange text announced, "Available in tons of colors!"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a few heart palpitations I clicked to see the tons of colors I would choose from. That's when I was reminded that life can be very cruel indeed.

Black. White. XXL.

That's it.

Now I'm not an advertising genius, but when did they decide that "tons of colors" was a good substitute for "More than one. Okay, to be brutally honest, only two."

I had an awful feeling that the Perfect Fit Long-Sleeved Tee was facing extinction. I raced out to the nearest Old Navy store where I darted frantically from table to table until a headset-wearing sales associate asked if I was finding what I needed.

"Perfect? Fit? Long?" I panted, making a sweeping gesture up and down my arm, possibly hoping that it was the official sign for "sleeve."

"Oooooh," she said. She clucked. "If we have any of those left, they'd be over there." She pointed to the wasteland that was the Old Navy women's clearance rack.

I think actual tears welled up in my eyes. I stood there staring at her, still gesturing at my left arm.

"That's right," she coaxed, "Go look over there. You never know what you might find!"

I knew what I would find. Those skirts from last season that were so low-rise, it was impossible to imagine how you could wear underwear with them. Maybe a scarf belt or two. Rejected polos and tunics that were in weird sizes that only one percent of the population can wear. A white ribbed turtleneck with some other woman's foundation all over the neck.

Stunned, I left the store. How could I have let them slip through my fingers like this? Clearly, someone as stupid as me does not deserve to own more than four Perfect Fit Long-Sleeved tees in Size M.

I need a cookie.

10 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Poor Liz!! it will all be ok :)

1:25 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

i forgot to mention, i made kale a la liz last night. i didn't have sesame seeds, but i sauteed it in olive oil with ginger and garlic, and some red pepper flakes too. it was quite filling.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

You're making me hungry, Bearette! I love kale. I love fresh ginger and garlic, too. I guess that's why it's the perfect dish for me. :)

I made an eggplant/tomato/red pepper/onion casserole last night topped with chopped mint and crumbled feta. I'm not usually a big mint fan but it gave it such a good flavor. I'll try to remember to post the recipe.

2:09 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

My other half always teases me for stocking up on different colours of the same style clothes - but when you find something you love you must buy it in multiples...or you'll have to write a sad post like yours! R.I.P.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

that is definitely true. i found a black skirt i loved at old navy once so i bought two of them.

10:49 PM  
Blogger New Mezger said...

SOOOO SORRY about your t-shirts! That's painful!! You made me realize I need to go get more of my fav at Foleys. I actually still wear a black t-shirt that is beading in places because I have been waiting for the spring clothes to come out...I hope it's there this year! Now I'm NERVOUS.

Remember to post the eggplant deliciousness you speak about!

Word verification: zidtv (sounds like a tv station) maybe it's just silly to me. :o)

11:44 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Would you like me to look for your much beloved perfect fit long sleeve size M at my Old Navy? I'm sure they have "tons" on the clearance rack. What are your favorite colors?

roxanne

8:26 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Roxanne, you would be my hero. I'm not even sure which colors are available, but I'm pale-skinned with blonde hair, anything flourescent is probably out. ;)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Which Old Navy did you go to? There's one in MoCo, but that's probably a bit far from you. There's also one in Bailey's Crossroads.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Heather, I might be willing to drive to any Old Navy in the tri-state area.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home