Saturday, March 04, 2006

Lost puppy update. Also, Liz analyzes herself.

Thanks for the reassurance, all. I've had some time to calm down now. :)

The puppy is fine. He's an adorable beagle/Jack Russell/something else mix. And I'm glad M brought him home. But after I'd cleaned doggy pee off the floor for the second time in under an hour, and broken up a fight over the last peanut butter rawhide chew, I realized that I like our life the way it is, and I'm not ready to add more members to the unit. It may also have been the pleading look in Alex's eyes that said, "You still love me, right?"

The puppy had a tagless collar on when he was found, so M is out searching the neighborhoods near his school to see if he can find the owners. And if he doesn't? We'll make other arrangements. He's a sweet pup, and he'll make some family a good pet. But that family won't be ours.

This whole situation last night just presented me with further evidence of a personality trait I don't like, which I think was adding to my anxiety: I favor planning and order over spontaneity.

Shouldn't I know that by now? After a lifetime of being myself?

But a spontaneous person seems like so much more fun. Let's fly to Tahiti, right now! Let's run over to the neighbors' for drinks, they just called! Let's adopt another dog today!

But I'm not like that. And I sometimes really hate that about myself.

Coincidentally, I was finishing Anna Maxted's Behaving Like Adults last night, and this bit resonated with me:

"When rabbiting on about understanding and forgiveness, it never occurred to me that the same princples might apply to myself. I've always been harder on myself than on others. I presumed that if I wasn't, I'd never get anywhere. I didn't realize that the opposite is also true. If you don't tolerate error in your life, you eventually wilt in the heat of your own self-loathing."

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

From the other side of the fence...as a P...I've always kind of envied J's.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

If you haven't already, you might want to check whether the puppy is microchipped. A vet or the local humane society should be able to get that checked for you.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bearette, what if I take a little of your P, and you can have some of my J? ;)

Lisa- good suggestion. M was planning to go to the humane society if he didn't have luck in the neighborhoods. The area there is kind of transient, so we're afraid that maybe the owners aren't around anymore.

Alex enjoyed playing with the puppy, but after a while he tired of getting dive-bombed repeatedly (the puppy was fascinated by Alex). Alex saw the puppy pee on the floor and looked at me like, "What a moron! Too bad he's not GOOD LIKE I AM."

If you want to read a really great story about a lost Katrina pup who found his way home, visit this link:

G-O's Happy Ending

It brings a tear to my eye. :)

12:00 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Sounds like a deal ;)

2:48 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

thank god that had a happy ending. i can't deal with any sadness related to dogs.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

"Joe and I used to talk about it all the time. We could have sex on the kitchen floor without the kids walking in. We could fly to Rome on a moment's notice."

Sally talked a lot about spontanaeity, too, but Harry liked her just the way she was.

Not really related, I know, but who's not in the mood for some good H and S humor?

1:09 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Frema, one can always come up with an appropriate WHMS quote for any situation. :)

Kind of like men and The Godfather.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Also- the reason they never had sex on the kitchen floor wasn't necessarily because she wasn't spontaneous, but because it was that very hard, cold Mexican tile.

Just imagine- she and Joe might have grown old together if only the kitchen had been carpeted.
;)

8:35 AM  
Blogger New Mezger said...

I just read about your lost/found puppy. Any luck?

Sweet Alex. I saw my in-law's dog look at me this weekend while Walter was running full speed into her face, trying to pee on the floor, attempting to chew on tv cables, begging for dinner, etc. We definitely know those older dogs are saying, "What are you doing?!"

Even though we thought about this and planned for it similarly to a baby, I can see exactly how people can buy a puppy and then give it away because of destruction, noise, and sleepless nights. Even my patience is running thin right now. One can be spontanious and fun without ruining another life (ie. the puppy). YAY for you and your husband for being responsible, in addition to loving!

I wish you lots of luck finding the pup a good home.

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home