Thursday, March 16, 2006

Only the Good Stay Until 5:00

Tonight I am going to see the one… the only… BILLY JOEL!

He’s the last name to cross off on my “must see” list. I’ve loved him for years, and his songs are a big part of the soundtrack of my life. When they chose A Time to Remember for my high school prom theme I thought the universe was speaking to me in a deep and meaningful way.

And tonight, finally, I will see him in person. From an incredibly distant, acrophobia-inducing seat, but I don’t care. The only trick has been staying at work until 5, when I really want to run all the way to MCI Center to make sure no one takes my seat.

On Saturday night we’re going to see the Blue Collar Comedy Tour with a group of friends. M and I saw Bill Engvall do stand-up about 8 years ago and my face ached afterward from laughing so much. I really need some good belly laughs, so I'm glad we're going.

And a random aside: Last night I was driving on the highway, in the dark, and a motorcycle sped up and went BETWEEN my car and the car that was directly to the left of me. While we were going 80 miles an hour. I mean, MY GOD, what was he thinking? All of a sudden I heard a motor racing and a huge headlight was filling up my side mirror. It wasn’t until he passed me and I saw him speeding up the road that I realized what had happened. It was all over in two seconds, but that was long enough for my heart to stop and for mini lightning bolts to shoot through my arms, legs, and eyelids. Does that ever happen to any of you in a moment of intense fear? I think it’s the body’s way of preparing itself to run away. EXCEPT IT DOES NO GOOD WHEN YOU’RE IN A CAR AND CAN ONLY WHIMPER AND CLING TO THE STEERING WHEEL.

(I also thought I’d wet my pants but soon realized that the spreading warmth beneath me was caused by my seat heater)

10 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Oh no! Yeah, I know what you mean. it's like an adrenaline reaction.

They played "A Time to Remember" at my high school awards night. It is the nostalgia song.

What do you think of his new wife? I thought he was still in love with Christie for a long time, but I guess he got over her. She was mad at him for marrying someone so much younger, but she left him in the first place! She seems like a nice person, though.

Sorry about the novel.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Have fun tonight!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

And I'm not good---I'm bolting at 4.30. Even though I should stay until at least 6.00.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Lisa, believe me- I would have left at 4:30 if I were allowed. :)

B- I just thought it was weird that he married someone who was practically his daughter's age. But hey- different strokes.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

You mean the Verizon Center? Or the 'whatever telecom superconglomerate is taking over the country today' Center?

Have fun. Let me know if he sings the Downeaster Alexa

5:16 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

The new template looks awesome!

5:31 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

I like your new template too!

Billy Joel is awesome in concert - back in 1998 I got to see Billy and Elton for free. I worked the bar at their Brisbane concert - and got to see the last 90 minutes of their show. It was fantastic :p

11:23 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I hope you had fun. Yeah, like who WOULDN'T have fun at a Billy Joel concert? I was glad to hear he came back out of his "supposed" retirement. I was just saying the other day that I hope he comes here.

roxanne

3:35 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

heather- I didn't think they'd switched the name to Verizon Center yet, since the website still said MCI. However... the interior is plastered with the Verizon logo, so there you go.

He did do Downeaster Alexa. It was a fantastic concert-- probably my favorite of all I've seen. I would get tickets to his next show if it weren't sold out already!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Lora said...

I think "A Time to Rememeber" was my High School Prome Theme too. I just looked it up. It was "This is the Time" which I guess is the same song. I've always loved Billy Joel. He's actually one of the few muscians that I have seen in concert. He puts on a great show. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home