Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A flying box thought about killing me

Yes. It is true.

When I got home from work yesterday a TV weather reporter was saying that some nasty thunderstorms were headed for the DC area.

I looked outside. Blue skies, perfect temperature.

"HA!" I laughed. "I do not believe you, Bob Ryan. Remember that one time 11 years ago when you said we wouldn't get any snow but then we had an ice storm that closed everything down for a week? I will not trust you again. EVER!"

And in total defiance I put some herbs I wanted to repot on the back deck, and even set up the sprinkler in the back yard. Because if the weather man says it's going to storm, you can bet your bottom dollar the sun'll come out.

30 minutes later I was trying to chop some onion and realized I couldn't see the cutting board. I couldn't see the cutting board because it was dark. I looked up and saw the sky, which had turned an angry blackish-green color that never means anything good.

I turned the news back on, which was suddenly awash with storm, hail, and tornado watches. I looked out the window again and saw my big, burly neighbor leave his house for a walk with his Rottweiler. He took one look at the western sky and fled back to the house. Now I was frightened.

M very gallantly suggested that we switch our cars around so that mine, the newer car, would be under cover. As we were making the switch I noticed that our neighbor's trash can had blown into the street, spewing trash like Linda Blair in The Exorcist.

M and I ran over to secure it when suddenly a big cardboard packing crate was whipped into the air next to me. It circled my head wildly several times before being sucked into the black sky. I think that was the moment when I remembered the movie Twister and knew that the next thing coming had to be a cow, so we abandoned the trash and sprinted back into the house.

The next thing I did was lug the container of dog food down to our "safety" room, in case we ended up stranded for a few days. M gave me a strange look but didn't say anything.

Alex, who is terrified of storms, sought refuge in the safest place he knew.



I kinda wanted to crawl in there with him.

12 Comments:

Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Oh! Man, I hate storms like that. We get quite a few of them in the plains of North Texas. They suck.

Do you have a basement "safety" room?

On a totally different note, were you in the DC area back in late 1995 when that blizzard stopped everything? One of my friends couldn't leave her house for like a week. I think she was about ready to kill her parents and brother.

Kinda makes me glad we don't get a lot of snow down here...

9:45 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Aawww, poor Alex.

I was also admiring your insanely clean toilet and bathroom floor. I'm envious.

roxanne

9:55 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bdogg, I think that's the same storm I was talking about! There was some snow and then a thick layer of ice over everything. It was a terrible mess.

We use our laundry room as our safe room, since it's on the bottom level and behind the brick staircase that goes up to the front door. No basement.

Roxanne- don't worry, the master bath is currently a mess. ;)

10:03 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

And yes, I realize now that I secured provisions for Alex, but nothing for M and I. Oh well, no worries. We keep the liquor in that room. ;)

10:09 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Roxanne, I'm with you. My first thought was how much cleaner that bathroom is than mine! lol

I love that picture of Alex. Back when I still had my cat, he got really scared the one time we had a tornado warning that even made the sirens go off so we hid in the tub. About a month later when fireworks were going off for July 4th, he went and hid in the tub with this look on his face like, "okay! i'm ready!" Cracked me up. lol

10:10 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

poor alex! that is such a cute picture. and what was the fate of the herbs?

11:12 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

we got them under shelter in the nick of time. ;)

12:04 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Flying cow, LOL. Or maybe just a rottweiler would have come your way.

And Roxanne is right. How do you get your floor to shine so nicely? I'm envious also.

9:01 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

I love the way you defied the weather forecast! And I'm glad that you don't all have to live on Alex's food for the next week.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Amen to keeping the liquor stocked.

That storm was scary, like I thought my windows were going to blow the hell in and send glass flying through my head, scary.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

We had a mini-storm this morning, a bunch of fluffy snow flakes, but everything was gone by noon.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Carolyn, it might have something to do with the fact that we don't have any kids. ;) So long as M and I are tidy, we only have to worry about sweeping up dog hair.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home