Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The streets are paved with diamonds

We got back from NY late last night. It was a wonderful trip in many ways that I can't explain here, but I treasured the time I got to spend with my brother and sister.

I can now officially recommend the so-called Chinatown Express busses that run between DC and NYC. On the day of departure we found the tiny office in DC's Chinatown with only one small error. The error was that instead of going down the stairs to the basement-level bus office, I went up the stairs and walked into a Chinese woman's apartment.

Me: (opens door, lugging suitcase and dripping with rain) Hello!

Woman: (flies at me, furious) NO! YOU DOWNSTAIRS!

Me: (tries to shield body with wet umbrella) I'm sorry? What?

Woman: NO! (shoves me out and slams door in my face)


Once again standing in the rain, I turn and give M a stunned look. Then we burst out laughing.


Me: Well, now I can check off "get a door slammed in my face" on my list of life experiences.

M: You've never had a door slammed in your face?

Me: No.

M: Oh yeah... you didn't work in social work long enough.


So yes, if you want a cheap ride between DC and New York City, take the Chinatown Express. But don't use the bathroom if you can help it (the one on my bus was disgusting) and don't piss off the woman who lives upstairs.

Pictures from the trip...


On the bus. I read Anna Maxted while M tries to show off.



My sister and brother, terrorizing Brooklyn since 2000.



At Pukk in Manhattan



Many drinks later at Belly...



Whee! Being hungover in the blinding sunlight on
the Brooklyn Bridge is fun! (that's me in pink)


K needs my professional librarian support as she returns
overdue books to the Brooklyn Public Library. Naughty.


C and his dog at Sunset Park.


Match the caption with the pictures:

1. Spoke too soon
2. Crepe expectations
3. Bubble Tea- the strangest invention ever
4. Camera shy
5. Vogue






Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Le Gamin! Did you have the French toast?

11:31 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I actually used to be addicted to bubble tea, but the caffeine content is crazy. It kept me up all night.

And 1990???? I am shocked ;)

11:33 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Great story. I love the door slamming part!

12:06 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

You'd think the Chinese woman would think to keep her door locked. lol

Sounds like you guys had a great trip! :)

(And I don't know what it is with all the bleeding.)

10:01 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

B- we went to the Le Gamin in Brooklyn. M got french toast, which I sampled. Mmmm....

I'd never had bubble tea before. It's a very strange sensation to have solids pass through your drinking straw!

I wish I could have met up with you on Sunday. I kept thinking I might spot you on the streets of Manhattan. ;)

10:54 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Suzy- exactly. M said that people probably walk into that woman's apartment all the time, and that's why she was so furious. Well, you'd think she'd make use of the lock, then.

At least she wasn't armed.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Maybe next time :) I'm glad you had fun.

I actually got my wedding dress in Chinatown and they ordered me around in a vaguely menacing way. My wedding dress was an 8 and taken in to a 6, but the chest was still a little big. "WEAR PADDED BRA!" the woman yelled.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

Looks like you had a great trip! And I've never even heard of bubble tea. I thought it was alcohol. :)

8:21 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

Oh I love bubble tea...but I know it as boba tea. My favourite is Jasmine milk tea. And I also love it with coconut milk...mmm I want some now!

Hey I thought the US was a dangerous place...what's that woman doing with an unlocked door?!

1:50 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

VK- there may even still be a few small U.S. towns where people feel comfotable enough to leave the keys in their car's ignition when it's not in use.
(but I can't imagine anyone around here doing that)

8:34 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

You do realize that now that I know what you look like, if I see you on the street, I might tap you on the shoulder. Maybe even hug you. I'm weird.

Glad you had fun though and note to self, take the chinatown bus.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

H- no problem. But let's refrain from making out until we've at least had coffee together. ;)

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home