Monday, May 15, 2006

We can live beside the ocean

So… hey there. I thought you might like to know why it feels like there’s rusted metal behind my eyeballs.

It could be because I was out clubbing all night. Oh, yeah.

Or it could be because I stayed up all night reading War and Peace. Double yeah.

Or maybe it’s because my husband and I were having a four-hour conversation about moving to Florida. Last night. When I should have been drooling on my pillow and dreaming about Kid Rock.

Remember this? And remember how M and I laughed uproariously and said NO WAY IN HELL ARE WE MOVING TO FLORIDA.

Because what does Florida have to offer? Palm trees, that’s what. Beaches in every direction. Less traffic. Lower cost of living. Ridiculously, reasonably-priced real estate.

How absurd!

So our brilliant plan went something like this:

1. Sell current house for fifty billion dollars, even though it is totally not really worth that much, but some fool will pay it.

2. Dance around in glee.

3. Buy bigger, better house in Florida for ten dollars.

4. Sell snow shovels, mittens, parkas, and Alex’s dog sweater on eBay.

5. Invest net profit.

6. Retire by 35.

7. Travel and drink champagne. Also, buy matching iPods.


Who wants to hire us as financial planners? We’re open! Call me!

So after we got serious and really crunched the numbers, the picture was not quite as rosy as all that. But still, it was something to think about. I’ve also been thinking about what I'll miss about the DC area if we move.

1.

2.

3.

4. ???????


I’m sure I’ll think of something, but all I can come up with is the fact that I would be really whole-heartedly, couch-hoppingly happy to get away from all this goddamn traffic.


I’m still thinking.


5.

6.

7.

8. The Smithsonian?

10 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Definitely the Smithsonian. But also Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle; any type of ethnic food you could imagine; Fourth of July on the Mall; days off work for protests; the Shenandoah, Eastern Shore, beaches, skiing in West Virginia or PA, etc. all within in a short drive; the Kennedy Center; pay-what-you-can nights at the Woolly Mammoth; 4Ps; the zoo---and baby pandas! . . . . Don't move to Florida!

You know, unless you want to . . .

4:41 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

so are you really moving?

i would miss the brownies at tryst.

my brain is totally fried because i just took a long bike ride, but i remember seeing in some magazine a list of the worst traffic jam spots in the US. DC had one of them...i can't remember the route number now - 1-75 or something? 240??

5:20 PM  
Blogger Elsa said...

That's a big decision. Are you originally from the DC-area? I would think if you lived your entire life in that area, it might make it a harder decision.

Well, good luck with the decision-making process. And what's the worst that can happen if you move? If you don't like it down in FL, you can always move back.

BTW, living in New England myseld, I can totally understand the happiness that you would feel selling mittens, parkas, etc!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

We've made lists like that, too.

One word of advice....don't underestimate the value of being near family. Also, don't underestimate the Florida traffic jams caused by the 5mph retirees. ;)

9:07 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Don't forget about the hurricanes. DC might get cold but at least the snow doesn't destroy your house. And I will tell you that I didn't realize how much I would miss snow and cold weather until I went to school in Texas. Good thing, since I'm about to move to someplace even colder than Chicago!

Good luck with the decision. I'm sure you two can and will take your time to figure out what's best for you guys.

10:25 AM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

I'll take your financial planning advice only if the matching iPods have a twee engraving ;)

Considering I uprooted myself from my home COUNTRY on a whim...I may not be the best person to advise...but I've never regretted it for a second. My attitude to life is "you've gotta try it once to know if you like it!"...No wait that's my attitude to ice cream - at least it's a transferable attitude :D

11:07 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Twee! I love it.

I guess the only thing that might be bad about Florida is the summer. It probably gets really hot.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Capybaras United said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Capybaras United said...

Maybe Miami Beach most of the year, Colorado or San Francisco in the summer ...

1:33 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

If I lived in Miami, I would constantly sing "Bienvenido a Miami!" in the same breathy voice as the Will Smith backup singers.

And sooner or later, I would be murdered.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home