Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Who CARES that my skin burns within 1.5 seconds of being in the sun?

To answer questions that popped up in the comments on the last post:


So, are we really moving?

There’s a distinct possibility that it could happen. We’ve been investigating job and housing options there. Knowing us, we’ll continue to ponder the possibility and have nightly four-hour discussions about it until we resort to raking salad forks across our wrists to end the misery. M is a social worker, and I used to be one. We LOVE to talk about our feelings ad nauseam.


Are we originally from the DC area?

No, but we’ve both lived here for the last decade and a half. M grew up on Long Island, and I…. well, I am a former Air Force brat who suffers from total fear that people at cocktail parties will ask me where I’m from.


At party, meeting new people:

New Person: Hey, my name is Marsha!

Liz: Hi, Marsha. I’m Liz.

Marsha: So where are you—

Liz: So how do you feel about abortion?


What’s the worst thing that can happen if we move?

One day we go out for a walk and forget to take a water bottle with us. In the 150 degree heat, we find the strength to crawl home but collapse on the driveway due to dehydration. An alligator dismembers our bodies. A fisherman kills the alligator two weeks later and finds my diamond rings in its stomach. He puts them up for auction on eBay. No one bids on them.

9 Comments:

Blogger His suzy said...

I feel your pain (literally) about getting sunburned so easily. I got sunburned a few years ago on one side of my neck from sitting in a car riding around on a ranch. Or the tops of my knees from sitting out at an air show. My favorite is when I get sunburned on the little part where my bangs go forward and the rest of my hair goes back, and then when it peels it looks like I have the worst case of dandruff EVER. Just one of many reasons why you couldn't pay me to live in FL. I don't really have the desire to vacation there. lol

4:55 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

well, we'll visit you if you live near miami. i feel like when i'm there i'm constantly slathering on 30 spf sunscreen. so i know what you mean.

5:36 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

I agree that the worst thing to happen to you is that no one would bid on your rings ;)

11:01 PM  
Blogger Elsa said...

Hmmmm...I'm sorry I asked the question "What's the worst thing that could happen?". After THAT answer, I would certainly reconsider moving to FL - I didn't realize there were fishermen down there :-)

I understand what you mean about the sun burns. They don't call me Caspar for nothing...so I know a thing or two about burns.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I was an Army brat. I too hate the "where are you from" question. I think I'm going to start making stuff up.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I would bid on your rings...AND I would adopt Alex. ;)

All I have to do is think about going in the sun and I will burn, so I can relate. Your nightly 4 hour discussions sounds sooo much like every time we have thought of moving. I always say you can't contemplate it enough. Well, I guess there is a point where you do have to pull out the forks and end it all. I wish you luck.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Okay, the twist to the plot is that my parents grew up in Daytona Beach, and I have extended family there. Although we moved a lot when I was growing up, we went back to Florida once or twice each year. So weirdly enough, it feels like home even though I've never really lived there.

And the heat? I can take it. I am a whiny, goose-bumped wimp in the cold, but I can take the heat.

As long as I wear SPF 100 every blessed day.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I think the worse thing would be those giant cockroaches that live in the trees.

Shudder.

Still, I hate living in CA so I feel your pain as far as wanting to move.

Did we not have kids, we would be out of here in a heartbeat.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

But just think about how awesome the traffic will be there and no snow and no ridiculously high housing costs to give you hives.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home