Thursday, June 15, 2006

I shall serve no fries before their time

I’ve started and trashed four entries over the past few days. My mind is buzzing from lack of sleep and I’m feeling a bit zombie-ish.

Zombish? Zombick?

Sigh.

This is my evening routine lately:

1) Eat dinner
2) Think about the things I should do: iron, clean, protest war
3) Do the things I feel like doing: play with dog, go for a walk, read.
4) Get sleepy.
5) Go upstairs.
6) Brush teeth.
7) Remove toys and rawhide chews from bed.
8) Stretch out on nice, comfy bed.
9) Turn out light.
10) Lie
11) there
12) with
13) eyes
14) wide
15) open



As an introvert, I know I need quiet time to recharge my batteries. What’s ridiculous is the amount of quiet time I need. Not an hour. Not an afternoon. Not even a whole day would be enough at this point.

Work’s been extremely busy lately and the weekends even more so. Last weekend we were up in New Jersey for a wedding. This weekend we’re traveling south to visit my sister-in-law for her birthday. Guess where we’re going the weekend after that? New Jersey! Again! We just can’t get enough of New Jersey and its many diners!

(by the way—and this question has been plaguing my mind for quite some time—why is it illegal to pump your own gas in Jersey? I can’t fathom why, unless someone managed to drench himself while smoking a cigarette back in the day.)

I took Monday, July 3rd off so I could have a four-day weekend (we’ll have Tuesday off for the Fourth of July). Then I turned right around and agreed to work at the public library that Saturday.

Now I kind of want to pull my ear off and gnaw on it for a while.

You’d think that sleep would come quickly and easily at night, since sleeping time is the only quiet time I can get right now. But the opposite happens. The moment my mind catches a glimpse of the 8 (okay, more like 6) silent hours ahead, all the thinking and reflecting I haven’t been keeping up with rushes over me like a tidal wave. So I stare at the ceiling for a while, then creep downstairs to the couch, where I watch educational TV programming, such as the World Pastry Cup on Food Network, or Fast Times at Ridgemont High (that’s some good acting right there).

(by the way—I wonder how the pizza guy makes it through the school’s armed security checkpoint when he comes to deliver Spicoli’s pizza? And also, I may be the last person in the WORLD to figure out that Stacy was played by Jennifer Jason Leigh. See, it’s a good thing I watched it all the way through, or I’d still be walking around like a dumbass swearing that it was Elisabeth Shue.)

Yaaaaaawn.

(I wanted to post some pictures here, but I've been trying for the past 24 hours and Blogger ain't budging. So just close your eyes and picture me passed out on the couch while Alex races around the family room, growling and tearing the newspaper to shreds.)

(if you also want to picture Bon Jovi lying next to me, and pretend that the couch is actually a hammock in a Hawaiian beach cabana, I won't object.)

14 Comments:

Blogger His suzy said...

I don't envy you. I spent one weekend out of town and it made me tired. lol

Oh, and when I want to help myself get to sleep, I take a Benedryl. It makes me sleep easier, it doesn't make me all drowsy the next day, and it's not addictive. I just take it about an hour before I want to go to bed. That's my little trick. ;)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

It's not your fault, Jennifer Jason Leigh had a different hair color than usual ;)

I read that it takes the average person 7 minutes to fall asleep. I want to find that person and hear their secret :)

11:09 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Ack. I guess that should have been "his or her secret." I feel the need to be grammatical on a librarian's blog ;)

11:10 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bearette- it ain't necessary. ;)

11:17 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Amen, Sister! I LOVE that article. And I think I may have to change my blog header to that quote: "Hell is other people at breakfast."

It's interesting, though, that the author states that it's more socially acceptable to be an extrovert, because I've found that very few people will self-select as an extrovert. They want to be seen as quiet, reserved, thoughtful so they claim to be introverts. But we true introverts know!

Hope you get some sleep soon! I know exactly what you mean about all the repressed thoughts running through your head.

11:41 AM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

I'm sleepy too...mine is self-inflicted from watching too many World Cup games...I do this every 4 years...you'd think I would have learned by now!

Oh yeah and recently Blogger is a real pain in the banana!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Lisa- interesting. Personally, I've often wished I were an extrovert, so I wouldn't need to "recharge" so often.

The feeling that extroversion is more socially acceptable is probably based on misconceptions about both orientations. For example, the misconception that introverts are shy, or socially retarded, etc.

I mean, who wants to be socially retarded? Anyone?

:)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

Luke and I travel on the weekends all the time, usually the three-hour drive to Chicago, where my family's from. His parents live in Merrillville, which is right on the way. We love seeing everybody, but this weekend we're looking forward to taking a break. We're going to meet Luke's parents for a Father's Day picnic, but it'll be a day trip, so we can spend both Saturday and Sunday nights in our own bed. It's better than Christmas. :)

1:18 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

Oh, and so you don't think we're playing favorites, we celebrated with my dad last week. :)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I'm sorry.

I hope you get some sleep.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Introverts rule! Not that I have anything against extroverts. ;)

You should most definitely get out of working that Saturday in order to have a nice, long 4 day weekend to refresh (and not go anywhere or do anything but play with Alex, read, and play with Alex some more).

1:43 AM  
Blogger Elsa said...

I feel bad that you have all that traveling to do on the weekends. I like having some time one the weekends to rest, relax and recharge before Monday. But when you're away, you can't do that.

And yes, I found out about NJ having a law against pumping your own gas on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart last week. They did a pretty funny bit on it. I think it's the only state that has that law. I don't get why it's that way.

Good luck with the sleeping.
I hate it when I know I have to sleep and it just won't come. Fortunately (and don't hate me), I usually don't have a problem sleeping and can fall asleep pretty quickly.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Elsa-- I don't hate you.

Even though I was up until 2:30 a.m. this morning.

*yawn*

2:12 PM  
Blogger Elsa said...

Sorry :(

But thanks for not hating me :-)

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home