Friday, June 02, 2006

Race for the Cure


Tomorrow morning I’m running the Race for the Cure. This will be my fifth year. First they were calling for a beautiful, sunny, low-humidity day, but now it looks like tonight’s rain may carry over through tomorrow morning.

That’s okay.

One year on race day, the heavens opened up and the rain poured down. It was a cool, heavy rain. It rained so hard that the DC streets flooded in places. As I ran and splashed down the street I nearly stepped on a large, drowned rat that was floating by the curb. As I yelped a guy next to me huffed, “Dude! Did you see that mother?” And I wished that I had my camera with me.

But it was fun! The Race is very energizing anyhow, even on a gorgeous day. But the rain just increased our determination to have a great time. Drummers set up shop under little tents and drummed for all they were worth. The volunteers stood on the curbs and sidewalks in their ponchos, cheering and reaching out to us with paper cups of water. The women who proudly wear their pink survivor shirts each year were especially menacing, shaking their fists at the sky and swearing no rain would steal their thunder, because they had suffered and lost their hair and maybe their breasts, but they were alive.

In DC, rain often seems to bring out the worst in people. Traffic snarls. Drivers get angry. People hurry down the sidewalks without looking at each other. But I’m kind of hoping for rain tomorrow. Like good salt in your favorite recipe, the rain seems to bring out the flavor of the day.

8 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Happy Racing!

Do you get sponsors who pay by the mile or do you pay an entry fee to run?

Just wondering how it works. If I'm too nosy, tell me to "shuddup."

10:21 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

You're not nosy. ;)

Everyone pays a fee to enter the race, and then you collect donations.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Nothing like drowned rats.

Have a good time!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Have a good one. I've always wanted to do one of those races, but feel like I need to be in better shape. I guess that's not the point with this particular race.

Maybe next year you can collect donations from your bloggy buddies?

11:43 PM  
Blogger Elsa said...

That's great that you do this race - making a difference as they say. Good luck and stay dry, Liz!

2:44 AM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

I'm a bit late for well wishes...so I'll say "Otsukaresama deshita" instead!

(A job well done!)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

I did ACS's Relay For Life a couple of times and I loved it. Now I need to get off my lazy butt and find ways to get involved in Indianapolis.

10:58 AM  
Blogger earnest said...

» International Trial Of Novel Breast Cancer Drug
14/12/06 07:03 from Breast cancer blog from medicineworld.org
-------------------------------------------------------------
A clinical trial of a new targeted breast cancer drug, led by
physicians at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) Cancer
Center, has begun enrolling patients. The TEACH (Tykerb
Evaluation After CHemotherapy) trial will investigate ...


For useful content on breast cancer under 30, breast cancer need to know and early breast cancer detection: check
the url is http://breast-cancer1.com

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home