Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Alex is the only one enjoying leisurely days in this house.

He so wants to kill the geese in our backyard,
and he has plenty of time to think about how he'll do it.
M and I haven't had much time to plot against the nasty geese, so thank goodness Alex is on top of it.
Work has been insane for both of us. In fact, right now M is preparing for a marathon meeting in which he knows he'll be a target of hostility (read: glaring, yelling, and cursing). It's all part of being a social worker. And they don't even let him drink on the job!
I forgot to eat lunch at work yesterday, which I didn't realize until I got a pounding headache around five o'clock (see below). We're also gearing up for M's sister's wedding this weekend. We'll be heading out of town on Friday morning with the periwinkle dress, dyed-to-match shoes, tuxedo, camera, and plenty of Kleenex.
(Note to self: You are going to forget to pack the periwinkle shoes, you moron. Put them in the suitcase NOW or you will ruin the wedding.)
(Self: Hey, Project Runway is on!)
I can only take craziness for so long, and then I break down. It all came to a head last Friday.
Arriving at work that morning, I told my boss that I wasn't sure I'd last the day because I had a massive headache. This was rather upsetting, seeing as I had about 500 things to do that day.
I'm headache-prone in general. I get them if I don't drink enough water, if I get too hungry, if I'm too tired, if I bend down to pick something up and forget that my filing cabinet is open over my head, et cetera.
Tylenol usually works for me, but the pills I took that morning didn't help. In fact, the pain got worse. I turned my monitor off because it seemed to be glaring at me. People stopped by to say hello and I couldn't muster up the energy to converse.
And then it hit me. That feeling.
You know what I'm talking about, right? Suddenly, you're light-headed. Your mouth salivates and your hands get clammy. A woozy wave of dread washes over you.
It's the feeling that you are most definitely going to vomit.
I clamped my hand over my mouth and raced back to my office, making it to my plastic-lined trash can just in time. No small feat considering that I was wearing 3-inch heels. I would have been proud if I hadn't felt so completely miserable.
I went to tell my boss that I had to leave. She took one look at my green face and wanted to call me a taxi.
"I can't take a taxi right now," I exclaimed deliriously. "I have to wash out my trash can!"
Which I did. I just couldn't leave it for the janitor.
In the end, I drove myself home. Pay for a taxi when I have a perfectly good car in the parking garage? Madness!
I had to pull over three times on the side of the road.
That night I had a dream that I was puking all over my periwinkle dress in front of 200 guests, all of whom had burning reference questions.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Alex would never kill :)

Sorry about the vomiting, it sounds yucky :(

10:52 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Okay, maybe he wouldn't kill them. But he loves to give them a good chase. ;)

11:04 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

This might work in your favor. The next time someone asks you a crazy question about the location of the periodicals because they can't read the GIANT sign, you could always just throw up on them.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

I hope you feel better soon and have an awesome time at the wedding. Sorry the second pair of silver shoes didn't work out. :)

1:59 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Sorry about the tossing of the cookies. At least it wasn't at the wedding. I think forgetting the periwinkle shoes would be much easier to deal with (and less smelly).

2:00 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I hope you're feeling better! I hope you and M have fun at the wedding, complete with no vomit.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Oh yuck.

Get well soon.

So are you gonna toss cookies instead of rice?

11:24 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

We've been crazily busy this week too...isn't it supposed to be summer?! Feel better soon.

5:12 AM  
Blogger kj said...

hope you're feeling better, liz.

can the flu be transmitted through blog-land? because it seems that alot of folks have been temporarily sick.

ps great last line.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home