Friday, September 29, 2006

Countdown to the weekend

I made up my own meme in celebration of the weekend. If you're going here on Saturday, come say hi! I'll be the drunk one.


Five personal shortcomings:

1) Making small-talk can be hard for me. I'd love to join you in a deep, meaningful conversation or a side-splitting joke-a-thon, but I'm not very good at talking for the heck of it. I'd make a really terrible politician.

2) I cheerfully let my husband do things that I’d rather not: clean the bathrooms, deal with contractors and car repairs, go to church. It's okay to send a representative to church, right?

3) The bag that I carry to work is always a mess. Old receipts, hair clips, a pair of pom-pom gym socks, Kleenex wadded up around chewed-up gum, a menu from a Thai restaurant… I’d be embarrassed if any of my co-workers discovered my secret shame. Strangely enough, my car is usually spotless.

4) In situations where I need to stand up for myself, I often question my actions after it's all over. Did I do enough to make my point? Did I go overboard? My meter seems to be broken sometimes.

5) Knowing how much my dog loves to steal socks, I frequently “let” him snatch them from the laundry basket. Cesar Millan would say, “You’re the sorriest alpha I’ve ever seen! Get down on the floor on all fours and get those socks back, bitch—WITH YOUR TEETH!”


Four things that shouldn't be in my closet:


1) You know what.

2) A hideous sweater that my husband gave me for our first Christmas together, and which I have worn exactly once. Sentimental value. I also still have the matching earrings!

3) The French maid outfit. Okay-- to be fair, it depends on who you ask.

4) The Doc Martens that I never wear anymore but which I can’t throw out because they’re such great, indestructible shoes and I may need them if I ever want demo my bathroom with my feet or slonk around in flowing lava.


Three things that excite me (in a good way):

1) The arrival of any Williams Sonoma catalog.

2) The smell of fireplaces burning in the fall.

3) Thoughts of hang gliding, which I’d really love to try.


Three things that excite me (not in a good way):

1) Preparing for travel, especially that involving flying. I have this really awful paranoia that flights/trains/buses will be missed due to any number of highly unlikely incidents.

2) People talking during a movie in a theater. For the love of Williams Sonoma, please shut up! Please. This is why I rarely go to movies. Too much excitement.

3) Preparing to cook a meal for guests. I have to start with a perfectly clean kitchen. I liken it to clearing your mind before a big challenge, like Daniel-san and his hands-moving-up-and-out breathing routine. Floor, stove, countertops—everything must be clean before I can begin my delicate craft. I know this must seem neurotic, but it's the only way. I also feel compelled wear a tin-foil hat and whisper furtively into a measuring cup when I mince garlic.


Two talents I have:

1) A freaky ability to remember every detail from conversations. Such as, “Oh, your great Aunt Betty? The one who accidentally used Kosher salt instead of flour when she made those chocolate chip cookies in 1979? What a hoot! She drives a green Buick LeSabre with a fuzzy steering wheel cover, right?”

2) I can wiggle my ears. Without using my hands.


One childhood memory:

Hiking Blue Job Mountain with my family as a child and imagining in vivid detail that there would be a winding yellow waterslide at the top that would deposit us back in the parking lot.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

I would have pegged you as a hard-core bathroom cleaner! ;) Especially given the kitchen bit...

I'm not really into cleaning the bathroom, either.

6:03 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Hi, Have just found your blog. I liked your Meme, might give that a go myself.

I must read more of you!

1:46 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

You should live in an Extended Stay hotel - they clean the bathroom for you! I'm not sure they can be your representative for church, though...

I'd forgotten how much I love the smell of fireplaces in the air when it's cold outside. I haven't smelled that in... at least 5 years.

11:40 AM  
Blogger kj said...

liz, i believe i am your long lost twin sister. ok, so i don't know how to explain that i was born years before you--can identical twins span time like that? i admit i do not have a french maid outfit anywhere, but my purse and your purse are the same, as are my delegation skills whenever i can get away with it. and oh fireplaces--comfort like no other!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Aren't you kind of YOUNG to be drinking, miss? Yes, joking, don't hit me!

My husband would love me to add a French Maid outfit to my closet.

And I am so jealous that you can wiggle your ears. I always wanted to do that when I was a kid or maybe twitch my nose like Samantha in Bewitched.

2:54 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

I'm a hands-free ear wiggler too...Actually I'm a Samantha nose wiggler as well...Don't hate me Carolyn!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Carolyn, I AM NEVER TALKING TO YOU AGAIN.

And I would like to see a video clip of VK wiggling her nose.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

B- something about bathrooms grosses me out. It probably has something to do with bodily fluids.

Thanks, meggie. :)

suzy- no dice. I need both. I guess I'll stick with M for a while longer. ;)

kj- Do you also have five boxes of gum/breath mints in your desk drawer? If so, we might really be related!

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home