Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Auto-Fill

I consider the Windows Auto-Fill feature to be one of life's little pleasures. You know how it works: type something just once, and the wondrous computing box remembers it for next time!

For example, I've recently been Googling for information on Dingle, Ireland. All I have to type is d-i-n, and presto:


My computer senses my need and supplies the answer. This saves so much time, and boy, do I love to save time. I'm the type who would rather hang 15 full grocery bags all over my body and struggle wheezing and gasping up the front steps than make two or three trips to the car.

Today I caught myself fantasizing about how incredibly great it would be if Auto-Fill and Google could team up to assist me in everyday situations.

What if I could conjure up a giant Google box to appear over my head every time someone started to ask me a repeat question? Before the first words were out of their mouths a list of possible questions would be supplied and they could simply choose the right one and hit Search.

I mean, imagine. This could really come in handy at work.

GOOGLE SAYS: Down the hall, to the right.

Thanks, Google Auto-Fill! That saves me an hour a day right there. How can you assist me at home?


GOOGLE SAYS: Don't count on it.

(Magic 8 Ball says: Plagiarizer! I'll SUE YOUR ASS!!!)



Wonderful. I suspect this could be useful for everyday social situations, too:




GOOGLE SAYS: Why don't you make up your own answer? That's more fun.


Google! Your tone is deliciously snarky today. I like it.


This would also be fabulously handy when you've just crashed into a wall or coffee table in front of your husband for the third time in under an hour:




GOOGLE SAYS: I think she just doesn't watch where she's going. Better check that bottle of Viognier, though.


I'd have to adjust the settings to ensure that my own personal thoughts and questions are not broadcast for all to see. I mean, what if I start to think, How do I get a rental car in Ireland? and suddenly the question How do I get rid of body odor? pops up? That could be rather embarrassing.


17 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

cute! i had a feeling the kids one would pop up :)

6:53 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

It's becoming a fairly predictable theme, isn't it? :)

7:19 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

You are so funny.

That is one of the most creative posts I have ever seen.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Sooo, what was the answer for that kid question? (just kidding...I think)

Very creative indeed.

9:28 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

That's just funny. :)

So is there a trip to Ireland in your future? I've been there once, but only for a few days. It was beautiful!!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

I was wondering if you were planning an Ireland trip, too. Luke and I have been talking a lot about possible travel plans for the next year, and the idea of Ireland came up. Exciting!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Yes, we're tentatively planning a trip to Ireland. M has been, but I haven't. M's stepmother is from there and has made lots of good suggestions. 'Course, she thinks it's the best travel destination in the world.

Anyone else who's been--consider your advice solicited and feel free to chime in. :)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Ah, Roxanne- I'm not sure there's a pat answer for that one. :)

11:23 AM  
Blogger Rude Cactus said...

You crack me up. And that's hard to do today.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

they have the best scones in the world in belfast :) it's a place called clement's, near Queens University.

12:45 PM  
Blogger kj said...

quite a post today, liz. i'm laughing and thinking of my own google quickies.

12:20 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

oh my god. that's awesome. where do i sign up? I am not sure how it would fly with the customer service freaks - uh, advocates - at my library though. hmmm.

I can just see it now:

Student begins asking: "How..."
My thought completed: "How did you make it to COLLEGE?"

8:29 AM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

This was so funny! And I am totally making your Udon Noodles sometime this week.

4:50 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

Do you ever find yourself wandering off to the various sites suggested by Google fill-ins? Some of my quirkiest finds have happened that way...but be warned it's a terrible time waster!

I imagine the "kids yet" question would turn up gazillions of hits!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

TOO FUNNY! Now, every time I google I will not be able to help but think of you. :p

3:31 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

I'm feeling totally ripped off - MY google doesn't auto-fill my questions.

Harumph.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Funny post. I had to laugh at the idea of draping 15 or so grocery bags on your arms instead of making two or more trips. I do that all the time. By the time I have made it from the parking lot up to my 2nd floor apartment and inside, my arms have turned purple from the circulation being cut off, but at least I don't have to go back down for another load!

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home