Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Going to Hell in a [hand-thrown] handbasket

On Saturday we made our annual trek out to the Blue Ridge Mountains to visit one of my favorite places in the world: Blue Ridge Pottery.

I started buying pottery there in 1997. When M and I got married, they made a set of dishes for us. Every year we go back to add a new piece to our collection.


It was a beautiful day for the trip. Cool, crisp, and sunny. The trees were just turning shades of red and orange, and though they will be even more beautiful when they hit their peak, it was still a lovely drive.






Hello, old friend!

Now the tough part... deciding what to buy.

If all goes according to plan,
I'll soon own one of everything. Mwa ha ha!



I think I see the one I want... that lovely red
serving platter with streaks of blue and purple.
Always coordinate your pottery with your outfit, ladies.


The tradition is to visit the pottery, then drive the 30 minutes to Harrisonburg, Virginia, for a late lunch at my favorite restaurant: The Little Grill. I had felafel in a pita and ginger lemonade. M and I split a piece of carrot cake for dessert. I almost licked the plate.

So what do you suppose we saw in our mailbox when we returned home from our idyllic drive in the country?

This:



I looked at this and thought it was an announcement for a breast cancer research fundraiser. It was folded in half, so all I saw was the lettering at the top, which looked like it said: Revelation and the BREAST.

I unfolded it, yelped, and dropped it on the counter. M came over to take a look. He thought he'd signed up for an Iron Maiden mailing list.

But no! It was simply a friendly reminder that we're both going to hell.


"RAAAAAWR!!" says the scary, toothy dragon. "HAVE FUN IN HELL!!!"



Here's a picture from M's mom's wedding. I mean, really. Do we look like the kind of people who are destined for hell?
Okay, maybe.
Sticking your tongue out at a wedding means
"Have a long and happy marriage!" in Devil-speak.


14 Comments:

Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Hey, Liz, don't worry--DH and I will be in Hell right along with you guys.

It will be fun. We can have barbecues....

9:36 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

The pottery is beautiful!

That's the first I'd heard of Hell sending out recruiting fliers. lol

9:52 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

What a great couple you guys make!

Also, it looks like you had fabulous weather for your drive. I so want to make a trip East sometime soon and frolick in the mountains.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

See, I thought people are sent to Hell. I had no clue it was invite only. Is there a selection process involved as well? What did the brochure say?

11:45 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Guess what? The invitation said we could bring friends!

I'll add Bdogg, DH, and Heather B. to the list. You can thank me later.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I want some! Maybe I'll add that to our list of trips.

One time we got a hand delivered invitation to hell. Of course the kids were curious what it was. I think I explained that it was some church people's attempt to scare people into going to their church. So oooo, are you going to church this Sunday?

1:28 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Roxanne- I'll stay home as usual this Sunday. That'll give me time to pack for my trip to hell.

The pottery has winter weekend getaways where you can stay in their B&B and learn how to throw pots. More info on their website. :)

1:36 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I would've licked the plate ;) As long as no one was watching.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Rude Cactus said...

You guys rock. And it sounds like a great day trip. Pretty this time of year too!

11:01 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

Oh my, those fundamentalists are at it again! Just comb your hair over the 666 on your forehead and they should leave you be, at least for a while...

Harrisonburg! I once met a wonderful guy who went on to become a dear friend, who was from Grottoes - but he'd tell people he was from Harrisonburg-ish" because no one knew where Grottoes was. Gorgeous part of the country. And i love that pottery!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Can we make some of that gorgeous pottery in hell?

2:47 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Babelbabe- but what to do about the horns? A stylish fall hat?

Carolyn- Obviously. It's the perfect place for it- no kilns needed.

2:50 PM  
Blogger kj said...

hi liz! you two are a pretty handsome couple. you'll be on the A-guest list in hell.

it's nice to back in blogland and see what you've been up to.

:)

6:29 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

I've already been to Hell!

Actually it was the "hells" in Kyushu.

I love your pottery tradition.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home