Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I fucking love kale.

Sorry. It just came out.

May I present another ode to kale? No? Okay, fine. I'll just get on with it and post a recipe.

I made this on Monday night. It was delicious then, but even better tonight after resting for 24 hours.

(O, beautiful Kale!
Not like your mushy cooked cousin, Spinach.
You are so delightfully toothsome.)

(the ode just flew out of me.)


Curly Kale with Carmelized Onions
From the 2006 November/December issue of Vegetarian Times

2 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 T)
3 lb. curly kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup chopped almonds


1) Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and cooked 10-15 minutes, or until soft and beginning to brown. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, or until fragrant.

2) Stir in kale and 2 cups water. Cover and cook 30 minutes, or until kale is tender. Season with salt and pepper. If making ahead, cool and store in airtight container. Just before serving, reheat kale mixture, then drizzle with vinegar and sprinkle with chopped almonds.


Did you catch that last part? If making ahead? Kale is one of those vegetables that tastes great when it's been sitting around for a while. And I'm thinking that anything that can be made ahead is a great choice for Thanksgiving dinner, which I am hosting again this year. Who wants to come? All the spare rooms are claimed but I have a leaky air mattress with your name on it!

Work has been kicking me in the bum lately, which is why I haven't been posting as frequently. I would love to tell you all about it, but since I don't like to discuss work here, this is the most I can give you:

First, schnizzlety schnizzle tolberone wonked out the berbery-burberry! And then I had to furritz the blossom-bottom while I was suffering from an infectionus sinusis (Latin?). On top of that, I was asked to blankety-blank the bar mitzvah's weiner schnitzel and bibbity-bobbity-boo, I have a paper cut.

So isn't it okay that all I have tonight is another ode to kale?

M and I went to see this Saturday night and George Wendt played the jury foreman. I had the nearly irrepressible urge to bellow "NORM!" when he came out on stage. No intermission, which I like. Intermissions always bother me. Can't everyone eat and drink wine and use the toilet before the performance, and be okay for a couple of hours? LET'S GET ON WITH IT.

I feel that this must say something about me, but I'm not sure what.

We went for some gastronomical entertainment after the show, then headed for home. As we were driving, I noticed a mattress on the side of the road.

Scene: M's 1998 Toyota, driving down some random street in NW Washington

(also, Liz has had two glasses of delicious cabernet)

Liz: That's so strange. Why do you always see mattresses on the side of the road? I mean, how do they get there?

M: Huh. I don't know.

Liz: I mean, it's not like people routinely carry mattresses around. It's not like you're walking your mattress and all of a sudden you get tired and have to abandon it on the street.

M: Um, yes. I really have no idea. Maybe someone leaves it there in case pedestrians get tired and need a place to rest.

Liz: BYOS. HAAAAAAAA!

M: ?

Liz: Bring Your Own Sheets.

M:

Liz: Haaaaaaaaaa!

M: That wasn't funny.

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

i think you have a rosy future as a kale poet ;)

did you have a sinus infection or a vague flu/cold thingy? i'm wondering how you kicked it, i have the same kind of thing.

re the mattress - maybe people were just trying to dump it in an untraceable way?

8:53 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Do you suspect foul play, counselor? :)

I think I had a sinus infection, which also brought nausea and general feelings of being dizzy and run-down. The only thing that works for me is also something that knocks me out cold- Benadryl Severe Allergy & Sinus.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Also- organic ginger-lemon tea. Or maybe the hot mug just felt good in my hand. :)

9:18 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Yum re the tea. I've had the same experience with Benadryl...it really works, but shouldn't be taken during the day :(

Hee...no foul play. Just some commonplace mattress abandonment ;)

10:42 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I have eaten three helpings of kale.

Help.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

That WAS funny! You're a comedian. Even if it takes a couple glasses of wine to get it out of you.

I'm a kale lover too. I had not tried it until either you or Bearette posted a recipe a couple months ago. It's one of those veggies I always passed by because I had no idea what to do with it. Yum!

I bet those discarded mattresses have plenty of DNA on them. But come to think of it, what mattress doesn't have lots of DNA? (eeeewww)

1:15 AM  
Blogger mjd said...

First, schnizzlety schnizzle tolberone wonked out the berbery-burberry! And then I had to furritz the blossom-bottom while I was suffering from an infectionus sinusis (Latin?). On top of that, I was asked to blankety-blank the bar mitzvah's weiner schnitzel and bibbity-bobbity-boo, I have a paper cut.

I hate when that happens.

7:53 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I can't believe he said it wasn't funny! It made me laugh - and I haven't even had any wine! :)

I have a confession to make. I've never had kale. Well, at least as far as I know.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

I have an even bigger confession than His Suzy: I have no idea what kale IS. Perhaps you could post a picture next time you make your delectable masterpiece.

Also, I was in that play in high school, only it was Twelve Angry Jurors, not Twelve Angry Men. I was the guard. I rocked the house.

11:35 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

I thought BYOS was funny. :)

I have a question about kale, though. Does it make one's teeth feel hairy after he or she eats it? I have this thing with spinach, which I love btw, but it always makes my teeth feel all gritty and hairy after I've eaten it....

12:29 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

A leaky air mattress, how can I resist?

There was a blog once called Badger Daddy's Bungay Blog.

There was a mattress in front of his apartment complex and the drug addict next door and his friends laid around outside on it.

One night BadgerDaddy came home drunk and urinated on the mattress.

The next day they were still laying on it. Maybe all the drugs killed their sense of smell. Eeeewww.

And BYOS is funny.

4:42 PM  
Blogger wharman said...

You are funny in the car, and on to something with this mattress conspiracy. Maybe it's like an underground railroad. Free kale if you find the right roadside springs!

6:46 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

*I* think it's funny.

I like Kale. Also brussel sprouts.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

That was funny, so there.

I don't think I know kale. Must explore further.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Zen Master said...

I'm with Frema...what is Kale? I've heard of it but I don't really remember what I heard. lol

As for the mattresses. I always thought it was people too lazy to dump them properly or people who didn't realize they lost the mattress they were transporting until ??? or people who were too embarrassed to go back and retrieve their mattress when it's flown off their car.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I see that I will have to post another ode to kale, complete with pictures!

From the Whole Foods website:

"The beautiful leaves of the kale plant provide an earthy flavor and more nutritional value for fewer calories than almost any other food around. Although it can be found in markets throughout the year, it is in season from the middle of winter through the beginning of spring when it has a sweeter taste and is more widely available.

Kale is a leafy green vegetable that belongs to the Brassica family, a group of vegetables including cabbage, collards and Brussels sprouts that have gained recent widespread attention due to their health promoting, sulfur-containing phytochemicals."

1:09 PM  
Blogger Rude Cactus said...

You know, rarely do you hear someone express such strong positive feelings about kale.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home