Monday, October 30, 2006

A Restful Restroom Weekend

This weekend M and I gave our guest bathroom a makeover.

You'd think that after a highly stressful week at work, home improvement would be the last thing I'd want to do, but I discovered that I really love demolition. Attacking the underside of your ugly countertop with a mallet and then pulling it off with a satisfying rrrrrip! is very therapeutic! I highly recommend it.

I forgot to take pictures of the bathroom before we started, but above the sink was a mirror that stretched the entire length of the wall.




I think mirrors are supposed to make small rooms appear larger, but this one had the opposite effect. Even when you were in there by yourself it felt as though you were at a crowded party (which isn't really the feeling you want to have when you're in the bathroom, if you know what I mean). It was huge! Large enough to put on the ceiling over your bed, if you're into that kind of thing. Which we're not.


Featured: Liz's beloved putty knife with comfort-grip handle.
Did you know that I'm a spackle master?

The walls were a dingy off-white color, the faux marble sink was looking more yellow than sparkling white, and everything was construction-grade (see also: Cheapest Possible Option). I never felt very happy in there, and shouldn't you feel happy in a room where so many important things take place? (Fill in your happy bathroom memories here: ____________)

This is one of the last rooms in the house to get some TLC. Obviously we didn't care too much about our guests' bathroom happiness.


Can you spot the putty knife? Also, Post-Its stick to a wide
variety of surfaces, including ceramic tile!


The first thing I did was install the new toilet paper holder. I don't know why- it just seemed important. Then I patched the walls, sanded, painted, and caulked, while M acted as plumber.

Let's play a game! Look at the picture below. What do you suppose happened when M took this sink trap outside to clean it with the high-powered garden hose?

You'll shoot your eye out!


a) He discovered too late that the other end of the pipe was aimed at his face.
b) He discovered too late that the other end of the pipe was aimed at his crotch.
c) Both a and b happened within five minutes.


Here I'm either admiring the new shower curtain or
hating the old light fixture-- I'm not sure which.

Besides being quite good at patching walls, I'm also very good at painting. I've painted almost every room in our house. I don't have to use tape, people. It's true! I can paint along baseboards, ceilings, and trim with a steady hand. If librarianship doesn't work out, I have something to fall back on.

Ta-da!


M still has to hook up the rest of the shower fixtures and I need to figure out what to do with that naked light bulb strip, but it looks better already.

M picked out the mirror. I was impressed.

One member of the household was not impressed by our accomplishments. He spent most of his weekend tiptoeing fearfully around all the strange objects in the hallway, trying repeatedly without success to find out what was in that mysterious paint can ("No, Alex!").

They love their new faucet more than they love me.
Also, paint is stinky. Home improvement sucks.


12 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

I can always count on you to crack me up.

Do you really want my favorite bathroom memories? :)

The mirror is gorgeous. You guys did a great job.

Sounds like your husband got his crotch really clean too.

10:16 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

The bathroom looks great! Oh, and I think the answer is C.

Not to laugh at Alex's misery, but that cracked me up. :)

12:00 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks! Suzy, you are correct about answer c.

Poor Alex. We took him on an extra-long, extra-fun walk on Sunday to make up for the neglect and scolding.

Carolyn- I'd love to hear your favorite bathroom memories, especially if they're funny. :)

4:51 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

I like that new mirror.

I can paint without tape too (I used to paint theatre scenery for a living) - in addition to being a librarian - do you think it's something in our librarian genes?

10:05 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

Yes, yes, great job. I really like the color you went with. Oh, the day when Luke and I own living quarters with a guest bathroom will be a happy, happy day!

10:58 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

Wow, a very productive weekend! I love the mirror.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Sooo, is the old mirror still intact? How much do you think it would cost to ship it? Just kidding! It's not like I'm into that kinda thing. (I think)

11:05 AM  
Blogger wharman said...

I, too, am a painter and wall patcher. I just did a friend's bathroom last weekend. Now to embark on my librarianship. You two did a marvelous job here.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Zen Master said...

Awww...poor neglected Alex...lol

I love the color and the mirror.

We've been thinking of painting our bedroom a similar color (I think it's called mesa green at home depot or something like that.). Then I started thinking it might look better in the living room and so on... So, I've done nothing. lol However, It seems like such a serene color.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

babelbabe- you may be on to something! Perhaps we should conduct a survey of librarians and write it up for Library Journal?

Frema & vk- thanks!

Roxanne- we still have it, so let me know if you change your mind... :)

wharman- now I'm even more convinced. Librarianship and painting/patching go hand in hand!

zen- the color is Benjamin Moore's Pale Sea Mist. It's more citrusy than it looks in the pictures. I like it!

1:44 AM  
Blogger Suse said...

More statistics ...

Mr Soup is a painter, and he reads books!

Huzzah! There is definitely something going on.

6:59 AM  
Blogger kj said...

liz, ok, i finally have the idea. you could write a followup irma bombeck book. do i have her name right? honest. i loved reading your blog. i am usually laughing as i do.

:)

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home