Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Bark (and be a kid) at your own risk

There’s a lady in my neighborhood who seems a bit weird. Every time I walk past her house, all the windows on the second floor are wide open (no screens) and there are sometimes blankets hanging out. Not like she’s trying to dry them, but like she sleeps right next to the window and they get thrown out as she gets out of bed in the morning.

Many times the front door is also flung open, leaving no barrier between her household and the outside world. These things alone are enough for me to classify her as strange, because I’m all about privacy and not letting my neighbors see, hear and smell every bit of activity that goes on in my home. But to bolster the case for ‘weird’, this lady also has two young daughters and three dogs.

Two young daughters and three dogs. And wide-open windows. On the second story of her house.

For me this conjures up a very old Sesame Street clip that was meant to teach children Spanish. It featured a cartoon owl flying straight towards a brick wall, crying all the while, “Peligro! Peligro!”

To be stark naked about this, my first concern was for the three dogs. They’ve lunged through the open windows before, barking at Alex. I immediately pictured their adorable, fluffy bodies pitching toward the unyielding pavement. They’re Goldendoodles and very, very cute. But that’s beside the point. I would be concerned about even a very ugly dog. Even this ugly dog.

I know! I know what you’re thinking. But don’t worry- just a few minutes later I also considered the safety of the two little girls. Yes! I promise that was my very next thought! (it’s just that I’ve never seen the girls lunging and barking through the windows so they weren’t at the forefront of my mind, okay?)

So what’s up with this? Does this woman have allergies? Claustrophobia? A need for a quick escape route? A good ol’ fashioned aversion to screens? Perhaps she lived in Italy, where I never saw a single window screen.

Then again, the Italians do seem to favor keeping their front doors closed…

6 Comments:

Blogger Zen Master said...

That is disturbing...actually I'm not sure if she's more disturbing than the ugly dog pics. It's a toss up.

Don't worry about thinking about the kids as an after thought. I did the same thing today when I witnessed a dog fight in the middle of the street. I was concerned for what the rottweiler was going to do to the pit bull rather than the boys who were trying to take them apart.

Nobody was hurt but I lost a good dog leash ;-)

9:42 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Screens are only a false sense of security. If a kid or dog leans on them, they can pop out just like that. Yes, I realize that they are at least a barrier of some sort. And as far as the keeping the windows and door open 24/7, with 3 dogs and 2 kids....I'm sure she needs to to keep the stench down. Just sayin'.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Right. I wasn't thinking of the screens as a barrier for the kids or dogs, but more for the bugs... or birds! :)

12:02 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Does she do this even when the weather's bad? If not, then she may just REALLY like fresh air in the house. But if there's a blizzard going on and all the windows and doors are still open... then she's just crazy.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Suzy- I don't know. I'll have to keep an eye out after the first snowfall. :)

We like having windows open to get the fresh air, but we utilize the screens. THE SCREENS, people. They offer the benefit of fresh air without the pests!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Maybe she's an exhibitionist!

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home