Monday, November 13, 2006

So I went to Williamsburg again...

...land of pancake houses, many historic buildings, and... uh... this. Yeah. It says it's a "pottery", but I saw nary a pot (or a potter) when I visited two years ago. Maybe I would have, had I the fortitude to make it through the entire thing (as it was, I saw a cheese n' knife store and a place that sold toys, firewood, and polyester sheets). People, I don't enjoy shopping. I especially don't enjoy shopping in a huge complex that looks like a hundred garages and warehouses all joined together.

(Seriously! This place has its own campground, for chrissakes. It should probably have its own zip code, too.)

(And a cheese n' knife store? I have no idea. If you do, please explain.)

I didn't take any pictures in Williamsburg this year. But I did take a picture of a HUGE sandwich I made on Sunday. Right? Weren't you just dying to see some sandwich pictures? Stay tuned for that gem.

Anyhow, I was in Williamsburg to attend a librarian conference. The sun glinting off so many pairs of reading glasses would nearly blind you. And if not, your eyeballs might spontatneously combust at the sight of so many cardigans and sensible shoes. Sometimes I look around at my fellow professionals and think, "Yes. We deserve every negative stereotype that we've been given."



Personally, I try hard to combat those stereotypes by wearing lipstick and non-sensible high heels.

Internet: Yeah! And I bet you let people eat and talk as loud as they want, too!

Liz: Let's not get crazy.

Regrettably, I missed the conference social and all the Baby Got Back debauchery, mainly because I was stricken with a violent, 24-hour flu. As I clung to the toilet bowl at 3 a.m. I prayed that the hotel's housekeeper was not a Bitsy ("A dry Kleenex works just fine!"), but a big, strapping bleach-and-hot-water type named Helga.

Otherwise, who knows what I'll be stricken with next.

On the day we were to return home, we found out that M's grandmother had passed away early that morning.

In continuance of our good luck I was fully expecting to blow out a tire on the way home, but no! Instead we were treated to two separate highway accidents that caused a 10-mile back-up.

But don't worry, there was good news to come. When we got to the lap-o-luxury kennel to collect our dog, we received a positive report from them for the second time in a row that Alex is no longer a "problem humper".

Praise Jesus! One problem solved. On to world peace!

Or maybe we should tackle the kitchen phobia next.


Oh yes, and here's the huge sandwich I made on Sunday. Vegetarian bacon, romaine, spinach, tomatoes, and avocado on whole wheat toast. I actually injured my mouth while eating this beast. Was it worth it?

Yes.

Nothing tastes as good as your first post-flu meal.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Frema said...

If you take all that stuff out between the bread layers and replace it with real (fatty) bacon, I'd say you had quite the sandwich there.

I'm sorry to hear about M's grandmother.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Yum! What's the veggie bacon made of?

Maybe Alex is too frightened of the kitchen ghost to be humping anything right now.

We want to visit all the historical sites, but have agreed that the whole Williamsburg thing will NOT be on our list. Maybe the Cheese and Knife store was to emphasize the "cheese factor".

11:28 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

That was an eventful weekend! And quite a sandwich.

I'm not much of a shopper, either, though i do love bookstores.

i hope m is doing ok.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Roxanne-- here's the kind I used:
Morningstar Farms "Bacon"

It's been almost 20 years since I've had bacon, but this tastes pretty good (from what I remember) :)

12:32 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, and I'm sorry about M's grandmother.

I think I love real bacon too much to ever give it up. Not that I was considering doing so. lol

12:47 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I'm sorry about M's grandmother. What an awful weekend.

4:17 PM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Sorry to hear about M's grandmother. And about the bug you caught, too...no fun.

But, I have to say, what a tasty-looking sandwich. I love avocado on my BLTs.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Zen Master said...

Sorry about M's grandmother.

As for Alex, I never would have thought it...maybe this time he didn't have competition?

7:24 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks, all. M is doing fine and my stomach has made a full recovery. In fact, it is enjoying a nice glass of chardonnay!

Zen- Alex had two kennel stays during which he was dubbed "The Humpmaster". Never did it at home, only there. I have no idea.

Note to self: take dog psychology class

7:54 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

You DO know what happens when parents leave the kids home and go away for the weekend, don't you? Only Alex has it better than home.....doggy heaven!

11:47 PM  
Blogger Rude Cactus said...

Sorry to hear the bad news. Hope Williamsburg thing was good. I like the town, myself.

12:08 PM  
Blogger kj said...

so many things to say about this post, liz:

first, i hate williamsburg. it would be my most boring vacation ever.

2nd, sorry about your loss

3rd, i hope someday to enter 'non-humper' status. in the meantime, i'll just enjoy... :)

4th the after-flu sandwich: i'll look forward to that

5th: another woman who hates shopping. thank you, liz!

i see some new bloggers visiting you. they're in for a treat...

!!!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home