Thursday, November 16, 2006

The time for whine wine is now

We're hosting Thanksgiving dinner again this year.

I'm happy to do it. Really. I'm glad that our house is big enough for everyone, that we're conveniently located in between NYC and Florida, and that there are just enough forks and wine glasses to go around.

I'm feeling slightly glum about the approaching holidays, though, even though I lack a good reason. Part of it may be that for the first time ever, M and I will not be spending Christmas with family. We decided to strike out on our own this year and not travel. Develop our own traditions. All we've come up with so far is eating at lots of good restaurants, drinking lots of good wine, and maybe ice skating. I suck at ice skating, but it's one of those things you feel you should do in the winter time. It's fun to ice skate and then go stare up at the National Christmas Tree with teeth chattering!

We'll probably also make a stocking for the dog. Of course, we'll have to hide this from any visitors, lest their suspicions be confirmed.

(the suspicion is that we're obsessed with our dog and kiss him on the lips like a human baby. And they are entirely correct.)

(But I don't want them to know that they are entirely correct.)

I also felt glum after I ran to a local shopping mall during my lunch break today. There's so much stuff. So many things!

WHO IS BUYING THESE THINGS?

(I had a similar feeling when I went to a home improvement store earlier this week. Upon entering the store I was struck dumb by the blinding display of six-foot snow globes, purple Christmas trees, and blinking, whirling wreaths. When an associate asked if he could assist me, I panted, "Three new knobs. For my bathroom vanity. Please... help.")

Upon returning from the mall I wriggled uncomfortably in my desk chair while a co-worker asked me very directly why we don't have children yet. "You just don't feel ready yet?" she asked. "Are you having any problems?"

Yes, I have a problem. Today I saw a display of 100 lunch boxes that sing We Wish You a Merry Christmas. I have a sensory overload problem, which has horrified my ovaries and driven them to strike.

This year the holidays have snuck up on me. Work's been so insane that I haven't had my usual time to plan menus and count bath towels and to craft my own floral centerpieces. And of couse that last one is total bullshit, but sometimes I like to pretend that I would know what to do with a block of foam and a load of orange and yellow flowers.

Edited to add: The sun is out today! I feel better already.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

we had a stocking for my dog ;) my mom drew the line at kissing, though. speaking of which...i met a very enthusiastic puggle today.

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Bethiclaus said...

I think you should embrace the doggie love. Maybe then people will stop asking when you'll have a baby and instead think, "Oh, they're one of those couples. Who have dogs instead." It may not be what you'd ideally like them to think, but it might make them stop asking.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

That's my usualy response- "We do have a baby! Look, here's a picture!"

Bearette- did you kiss the puggle?

10:23 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

I let it kiss me :) it actually nibbled on my cheek! then it said hello to d, too.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

The rudeness of some people never ceases to amaze me. I'm sure you handled yourself with grace, as always.

11:58 AM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

An old boss of mine started telling everyone that she'd had cancer and was unable to have children, just to get them off her back. Geh.

I'm totally digging your illustrations lately, Liz. :)

12:37 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

You might enjoy a quiet Christmas at home more once everyone's there at Thanksgiving! :)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I've heard the best response when people ask nosy questions is, "Why would you like to know?"

That should shut her up.

9:43 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

Liz, you strike me as the kind of domestic diva who could whip up a floral centrepiece with simply some guest bath towels ;)

4:02 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

someone please tell me why on earth anyone would count towels? I always wondered why the Lady of the House counted the sheets in the linen closet too...isn't it enough that the darn thigs are clean, you have to know how many there are, too? What's next, IRONING them?

oh, and to your amazingly rude co-worker: you could tell her you're really a man...

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home