Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in a library?"

My big hair appointment was on Monday. I felt a little silly being nervous about a haircut, but there it was.

This was my first trip to a real salon. It reminded me of the first time I went to a fancy restaurant, where I was desperate to use the right fork, pronounce the dishes correctly, and most of all, to avoid launching escargot across the dining room like Julia Roberts did in Pretty Woman. The closest I’ve ever come to that is when my dad taught us how to catapult the little Smuckers jam packets into the air using our spoons, and that doesn’t count because it was deliberate. Also, we were in a diner.

(The people at the next table were not amused when a grape jelly packet dropped in for a visit. That was the end of the catapulting.)

I arrived ten minutes early at the day spa, which has a hair salon on one side and a spa on the other. The receptionist greeted me warmly. Was this my first visit? I nodded. She handed me a gift bag, then ushered me to “the lounge”. Could she get me anything to drink?

Um…water?

With a lemon slice?

But of course.

I sat down in a comfy chair and took it in. The fireplace, the tray of snacks on the table, the happy, smiling women who were sitting with their heads covered in caps and foil. I took a sip of water. I looked in my gift bag and squealed with delight when I saw that it included a wee bottle of OPI nail polish.

I love miniatures. I don’t know why.

The entire experience was so nice and relaxing. I nearly fell asleep when the shampoo person did my scalp massage, so grateful for the strong fingers that made my headache drift away. I would have paid the entire bill for that one treat.

The consultation with the stylist was awkward on my part, like I knew it would be. I’ve mentioned before that I’m not very imaginative when it comes to my hair, so I blather and flap my hands around my head and finally, feebly, say, “Know what I mean?”

And somehow, she knew what I meant! Oh yes! And she had ideas, and explained them all, and I liked them!

In a moment of complete, reckless abandon, I agreed to have lowlights put in my hair. The stylist explained that this would help give my hair “dimension”. I’ve since been standing very close to any light I see and tossing my tresses, waiting for someone to say, “My, what lovely dimension your hair has!”

Instead I hear: “Why do you keep putting your head under my desk lamp?”

So, it’s subtle. But very dimense.



The salon’s owner called my house the next day, welcoming me again and making herself available should I have any feedback about my experience. She encouraged me to come back soon.

I looked longingly at the list of spa services they’d given me. And the prices.

It kind of sucks to be financially responsible.


But hey—look at what I got completely for free:


It’s my boyfriend’s new book! I signed up for a free copy on this site ages ago, and I’d completely forgotten about it. It came in yesterday’s mail.

Did you notice the title? It gives me a little tingle.

(the tingle does not feel quite as good as a massage, but it’s free)

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Ooh, pretty hair. I like it!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Frema said...

Yes, yes, the dimension of your hair is fabulous.

Also, I have wet dreams about day spas. What I wouldn't give for a professional body massage and facial.

4:50 PM  
Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Oooh! Side swept bangs! I like it! :)

You simply must let me know about Anthony Bourdain's new book--do you watch "No Reservations?" I love that show!!!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

I like your hair. Aren't the scalp massages worth it?

9:45 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

I've never heard of 'low'lights. I get the plain old fashioned highlights.

I am deeply impressed with your dimense.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Many years ago, I unintentionally catapulted some chicken against the wall...while slicing :)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I love the three dimensional aspect of your hair. And how can you NOT love getting something free that says "The Nasty Bits" across the front?

11:11 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of colour and extra dimensions ;)

Bearette: Is that why you are a vego?!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Hee...nope, the chicken incident came years before. I became veg after college because I started doing the cooking and I couldn't bring myself to handle & cook the raw meat.

12:10 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I'm so glad the salon trip went well! And the lowlights are very fetching. ;)

12:28 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks, all. I knew you would appreciate my hair's dimension. :)

Bookworm- yes, the scalp massages are heavenly.

Suse- she said that my hair was light but without much variation- the lowlights were supposed to break it up a bit.

Bearette & VK- I stopped eating pork and beef when I was around 13, after a trip to Chinatown in San Fransisco. I stopped eating turkey and chicken when I was 19.

11:57 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

oh no no, he IS MINE. I am sorry to shatter you rdelusions, Liz, but I will NOT share. Mine mine mine mine mine.

( bitterly) if course now that you have beautiful LOWLIGHTS in your dimensionful hair, he will leave flat-haired, one-dimensional-haired me for you.

Humph.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home