Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Would you like to see a pooping polar bear? And a recipe, perhaps?

Today I was going to do something that took a lot of courage, but unforeseen events prevented it from happening. I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad. Either way, I wasted a lot of nervous energy.

Around 3:00 this morning I was jolted awake by the soft sound of Alex's stomach heaving, which means that puking is imminent. Before I'm fully awake, I'm somehow able to hear the sound, recognize it, and fly into the safety of the tiled (translation: easy to clean) bathroom with the dog in my arms.

Dog pukes on tile floor, Liz cleans up puke. Consoles dog, washes hands, tries to convince dog that although his stomach is empty and he's now hungry, IT IS NOT IN FACT TIME TO GET UP.

Have I mentioned how easy to clean the tile floor is? So much better than trying to clean the comforter in the middle of the night.

Anyway, here are some pictures of Alex from Christmas morning. I discovered them on the camera tonight and decided to liberate them. He really is sweet, so I guess I'll keep him, despite the puke.

Peeking into his stocking, which M had
stuffed full of squeak toys and Dingos.
(we love this dog, just a wee bit)



For a dog that loves to rip cardboard and other paper
products to shreds, Christmas morning is sheer heaven.


I totally didn't make this mess.

Oh yes, and my mother gave me a polar bear
that poops brown jelly beans.

Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like edible turds.


Now that you're totally prepped for a discussion about food, I wanted to share a delicious recipe with you. Consider this a belated holiday gift.

Portobello Pizza with Fresh Mozzarella
(Vegetarian Times, October 2006)

1 12-inch prepared pizza crust (make your own or buy one)
1 T. plus 2 t. olive oil
3 medium-sized portobello mushrooms, chopped (about 2 cups)
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 T.)
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 cup prepared marinara sauce
1/3 cup diced red onion
8 oz. fresh mozzarella, drained and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups arugula

1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray; set crust in pan.

2) Heat 1 T. olive oil in large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, or until browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and season with with salt and pepper. Cook 30 seconds, stirring often. Stir in vinegar and remove from heat.

3) Brust crust with remaining olive oil. Spread sauce on crust. Scatter mushroom mixture on top. Sprinkle with red onion. Arrange mozarella slices over vegetables, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

4) Bake 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Scatter arugula on top. Cut into slices and serve.

Ohhh, so heavenly. It combines some of my favorite things... arugula, mushrooms, balsamic vinegar, fresh mozarella. We ate it with a delicious Napa Valley cabernet. The recipe is supposed to serve 8, but M and I practically polished this off in one sitting, just the two of us. Ye have been warned.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Hope Alex is feeling better! I've had those rude wake ups---unfortunately Rowenh is much harder to pick up and move. I once got a black eye for trying!

Sorry we didn't get to see you! I developed a terrible case of laziness as soon as my butt hit my parents' couch and my hand touched the remote. Damn cable tv!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

That sounds really good! I'm curious, though...what was the courageous thing?

11:07 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Just more proof that pet parenting is not really that far off from child parenting.
;)

9:58 AM  
Blogger Frema said...

That pizza sound fantastic. I'll have to get Luke to make that for us.

10:08 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

i do the EXACT SAME THING with my vomiting children.

and i think that polar bear is hilariously tacky, I love it!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Lisa- Maybe next time. You deserved a week of sloth. ;)

Bearette- ah, that's a story for another day. :) Let me know if you try the pizza!

Roxanne- we got together with some old friends on New Year's Eve(some have kids already, and one is pregnant with her first). We were monitoring ourselves to make sure we didn't keep jumping into the parenting disucssions with our dog stories.

Frema- My first thought was: Uh oh-- mushrooms! But I forgot that they're acceptable if they're chopped up on pizza. ;)

Babel- do you have them aim for the toilet, or is the floor okay? I tried to hold Alex over the toilet once, but then he was afraid of it for two weeks.

12:57 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I always had the same reaction with my cat when it was time for hairball, because it was never just the hairball, there was always half digested food with it!

And I love that last picture of Alex. :)

1:31 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I love the pooping polar bear!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

It's not fair that your pet/child anecdotes would not be socially acceptable. I would be perfectly fine with them....and a wallet full of pictures too, of course!

12:24 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

they can't aim into the toilet when they are conscious and healthy, i just accept the floor and thank god it's tiled.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

I know the love withstands the puke, but dogs and babies, man...it's just work. Also, what's with both not recognizing that 7 AM is not an appropriate time to get up?? And even then, one should be silent until there is coffee.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

You always make at least one comment that cracks my a$$ up.

My husband got the chicken that pooped food a few Christmases ago.

You're right. They are incredibly appetizing.

I'm glad Alex gives you warning. Boots just looks at me and goes Bleah. And there it is.

And if I don't get to it quickly, Cecil eats it.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

Last year Son #1 did his own Christmas shopping (such a milestone). And purchased for his teacher a reindeer that poops brown jellybeans.

We were so very proud.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Suzy- I try not study the contents. :)

Amy, everyone should have one! It's practically a necessity.

Roxanne- none of them have dogs or are dog lovers, so they might not get it. :)

Heather- I tried to get Alex to sign a contract to that effect, but he couldn't get a good grip on the pen.

Carolyn- at least there is no competition for vomit consumption in this house. That would be more than I could bear.

Suse- if I were your son's teacher, that might be my favorite present.

7:43 AM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

That pizza sounds delish...fortunately I have a strong stomach!

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home