Friday, February 23, 2007

As my grandpappy, Old Reliable, used to say...

(Just a hunch: I need to spend less time with my dog and more time with, you know, human people.)


This morning I made it to work with minimal traffic pains, much to my delight. Oh, I'll pay for it this afternoon, as Friday evening rush hours are always their own special kind of hell, but I'll take what I can get.

I sat down at my desk, turned on my computer, and checked my voice mail.

A loaf of freshly-baked pumpkin bread (a gift from one of our favorite patrons) was still perched on a table near my desk (although considerably smaller in size than it was yesterday), its pleasing, spicy aroma still draping the room.

Suddenly I stopped.

Sniff, sniff.

Through the haze of nutmeg and cinnamon, beyond the comfortable smell of book glue and old paper, there drifted the faintest scent of…

Chocolate.

Sniff sniff sniff...

Follow your nose! Toucan Sam sang in my head as I sniffed under my keyboard, behind my phone, and in the pockets of my sweater.

Nothing.

Pushing my chair back, I dropped to the floor.

Sniff sniff sniff...

In the empty trash can, behind the power cables, around the CPU.

Sniff sniff sniff...

And suddenly, EUREKA!

A single Milano cookie, pale and afraid, hid in the dark shadows under my desk.

Plucking it from the carpet, I sank to my knees in satisfaction.

Ha! I gloated. That’s some nose I’ve got!

And then it occurred to me. Last night I observed my dog doing... sort of... kind of... okay, the exact same thing.

He'd sniffed steadily across the rug, onto the couch, and between the cushions until he'd found his prize: a piece of stale old popcorn. Upon discovery Alex had wagged his stumpy tail, obviously pleased with his superior olfactory ability, and then settled on the rug to enjoy his morsel of a prize.

I looked at the Milano in my hand.

Ahem.

Well.

I didn’t eat the cookie. I swear.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

i found a twinkie in the stacks of my college library once ;) i didn't eat it.

11:12 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

Were you born in the year of the dog, by chance? lol

12:13 PM  
Blogger Joan said...

I commend you for exhibiting extreme willpower in the face of such a tempting treat. That's what sets us apart from our animal friends...sometimes.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

My students have been keeping track of the Frito that is currently residing under my desk, waiting to see when the janitor will actually sweep under things. it's been since December. And I know one of the boys would eat that Frito if someone asked him too. He'll be shocked that someone had a cookie and didn't eat it. No matter how old it was.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

I love your blog. You always make me laugh.

10:23 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

I do not believe for one second that you did not eat that cookie.

Do you read the comic strip Get Fuzzy? There's a new character introduced last week named Foodar who can do...well, pretty much what you did, only he's a cat. There you go, your second career, all mapped out for you.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

I just re-read the title and realize you were doing Chief from the Fox and the Hound.

Clever.

I love the part where he says, "They're here to visit the in-valid." Hee

4:16 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Caro- I think it's what the hound dog (Trusty?) says in Lady and the Tramp.

I don't know if I've ever seen The Fox and the Hound.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Ack, you're right!

I've seen so many Disney movies they have all blurred together.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home