Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Hi. I know it’s practically Wednesday, but how was your weekend?

Mine was pretty good, thanks.

M and I went out for a much-anticipated dinner on Saturday night, a belated Valentine’s thing. The dinner was much-anticipated because we’ve been doing some serious penny-pinching and this was the first nice dinner we’d allowed ourselves in quite a while. Also, the chef will soon be leaving for another restaurant and we wanted to go one last time before that happens.

I have a Thing about going out for dinner on V-day, because the restaurants are usually mob scenes (crowds are not my thing) and the bisque comes with a little cream heart floating on top (which really annoys me for some reason), and because of the aforementioned mob scene your waiter barely has time to speak to you (very inconvenient).

And catering to my avoidance of all things mobby, we rejected the weekends before and after V-day, too. So! The 24th it was.

I wore a new dress, a black drapey number with three-quarter sleeves, a sash, and a plunging neckline. "Plunging" as in I really should have invested in some double-sided tape, if only I knew where the fuck to find some. I had to make due with adjusting the fabric every time I inhaled.

After we sat down I looked at the wine list (first things first) and then went to the restroom. When I came back there was a pair of purple sunglasses sitting on my folded napkin.

I’d first spotted the glasses in an outlet store three weeks ago. The love was immediate, as I seem to have a thing for purple glasses. But after admiring them for a while I said, “No one needs a pair of purple sunglasses.” and put them back. Well, M thought I did need them.

(He was so right. I’ve already been in several situations in which purple sunglasses were critical to my survival. Details to come.)

On Sunday we had a surprise snow storm and I spent part of my day cooking. For lunch we had a tuna casserole and carrots and broccoli with shallots and parsley, and for dinner, a delicious tomato-lentil soup with carrots, brown rice, and spinach. All recipes from the newest mouth-watering Magnolia Bakery cookbook. Not only do I love the recipes, but I also love the pictures of Alyssa Torey’s dogs and house so much that I’m giving serious consideration to stalking her.

The non-cooking portions of the day were spent watching movies.

The line-up:


Little Miss Sunshine
LOVED. Loved this movie. Loved the ending. I want to kidnap Abigail Breslin and take her to live with me in Alyssa Torey’s house.


The Departed

Surprisingly, I liked this one a lot, except for all the blood. But I’ve watched five seasons’ worth of the Sopranos, so I’m not really a gratuitous violence virgin. Bonus: cute boys with Boston accents.

M was slightly annoyed because with all the talk of rats I naturally thought of the When Harry Met Sally scene in which Sally says to Harry, “Is one of us supposed to be a DOG in this scenario?” and then, in disbelief, “I am the dog? I AM THE DOG?”. So whenever Matt Damon appeared I'd growl, “I am the rat? I AM THE RAT?". Apparently this gets old after a while, especially since Matt Damon is in practically every scene.

I also have a well-documented obsession with trying to imitate the accents of people on TV, so there was that annoyance, too. “We need moah back-up! Get the cah! OH MY GAD, YOU AH THE RAT!”

M: For the love of Alyssa Torey, PLEASE STOP TALKING.


The Science of Sleep
I’ll admit that I fell asleep for what was probably a very critical 35-minute chunk, but I didn’t get this one. Sorry.


When the movie marathon finally came to an end my eyes were blurry and I’d forgotten how to read. I’ve taken to wearing the purple sunglasses all the time, even inside. I need to protect whatever eyesight I have left. Plus, this way Alyssa Torey won't be able to tell when I'm watching her.

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Frema said...

Little Miss Sunshine rocked the house, thus cementing my newfound love for Steve Carrell. I hope you watch The Office!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

You would have loved my Boston-area school playground, where the little boys told each other, "That's queeyah" (translation: "That's queer"). It can grate on your ears after a while.

4:42 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

I've never even heard of the Science of Sleep. Darn.

I really want to see both of the other two, though. Now I'm even more excited to see them!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Frema- I am indeed a fan of The Office, British and American. :)

Bearette- Hearing people say that would probably grate on my ears immediately, no matter the accent. M and I have never been to Boston, but plan to go someday. I'll practice my accent until then.

Suzy- go forth and rent! Right now!

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

Liz,
I am so glad to hear you got some sleep.
I found your blog site for the first time yesterday and I was up until 4:30 a.m today reading the entire thing from ur 1st entry unti the current one.
Girl, you "Have A Wonderful Gift"...with the written word!!!
You also have talent with a camera.
We were in D.C. in Nov. for a mini vacation. Wish I had read your blog site prior to our trip, would luv to have meant you.
Think we have a lot in common: I too love animals and reading.
We live in Oak Park, IL / St. Joseph, MI...
My e-mail is kferley@sbcglobal.net.
Let me kno if you ever come this way.
Keep up your entertaining posts.
I LUV Alex!!!!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

Of COURSE you need purple sunglasses!

I'm on the waiting list for Little Miss Sunshine at the library. I've heard good things about it.

9:31 PM  
Blogger kj said...

you have a good life, girl. it's obvious. you know i certainly like the purple sun glasses.

:)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I just finished The Departed about 30 minutes ago, that is after falling asleep during it when I tried to watch on Sunday afternoon pre-Oscars. It was good, but not the best thing I've ever seen all year long. I would've gone with Babel for that, but then again I'm not a memeber of the Academy.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Loved LMS! I laughed. I cried. At times, I almost peed my pants.

The Departed was really good, too. Jack Nicholson cannot do a Boston accent, but then again he doesn't need to. He's Jack.

My husband has a man crush (admittedley) on Matt Damon. I'll never let him live that one down. He's already making plans to watch his next movie coming to theaters soon.

Can I come eat at your house the next time a storm rolls through? I'll bring along someone to keep Alex occupied while you slave away in the kitchen. ;)

1:34 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

I think I'd have fun watching a movie with you.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

Speaking of The Office, Jim keeps showing up in my dreams. Not that I mind :)

6:48 PM  
Blogger Elsa said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening - especially the puple glasses :)

I LOVED Little Miss Sunshine, too and I could NOT stop laughing at the end. It was hysterical.

And, when you do get up to Boston (I grew up in Lowell, which is 25 miles north - same accent), you'll have to practice - "wicked smaaaaaaaaat" :)

8:38 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Elsa- I love it! I'm going to start saying that right now, this very minute! Wicked smaaaaaat!

M will be so pleased.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Elsa said...

BTW, I agree with your assessment of Self-Made Man. Just fascinating that she could actually pull it off and that she had the courage in the first place to try. She was actually going to speak yesterday at the Harvard Book Store, but had to cancel due to illness. Hopefully she'll reschedule.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Elsa said...

Yup - I'm sure M will be very pleased! Please don't tell him I taught you that :)

8:43 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Just wait until he gets home. I have a feeling that everything he says will be wicked smaaaaat, and I'll compliment every utterance.

8:48 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

oh my god, you make me laugh so hard.

can i come live at YOUR house? while you're at Alyssa Torey's?

also, that Magnolia Bakery cookbook? Is that the cupcake place?

I had a teacher in junior high on whom I harbored a (now I realize) not-so-secret raging crush which manifested itself in being thoroughly obnoxious in his class and getting thrown out, not being able to speak to him like a normal human being, and mkaing fun of his very pronounced Boston accent. "Pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd." (Wasn't I the charmer?)

5:36 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

but wait....if you're at Alyssa Torey's - what fun would your house be? Can i come live at Alyssa's with you? now who's stalking who? whom? who.

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home