Friday, February 09, 2007

I want out.

This place is making me weary.

Too many people pushing up against each other. Too hurried, too harried, too important to see anyone else. Scornful sighs; rolling eyes.

It's them. They're the problem.

Fucking immigrants.
Fucking Democrats.
Fucking Republicans.

and on and on.

Drivers speeding up as a school bus tries to change lanes. Honking loudly at the old woman with the Florida plates. Riding my tail, whipping impatiently in and out of lanes. Building condos and strip malls and Super Wal-Mart on every spare inch of land.

Within minutes of my home are at least five grocery stores, seven gas stations, and three Starbucks. I can choose from thirty kinds of fancy cheese, three grades of gas, and 2,000 possible drink combinations.

I don’t need that many choices. Who needs that many choices?

I see designer stores and Hummer dealerships and swanky bars. Wear something, drive something, drink something expensive. You’ll feel better. You’ll be someone.

Buy million dollar homes that don’t look like million dollar homes. Pad them with imported Italian marble and Brazilian cherry floors and $10,000 French arm chairs. Hire someone else to clean it all.

Buy more. Drive faster. Get out of my fucking way.

I’m too slow and quiet for this place.
I don’t want to live here anymore.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Lizabeta...maybe it is time for a vacation? Get away from it all...

The self-made man book is interesting, but disturbing. i took it out of the library a while back and ended up skimming. will be interested to see what you think.

1:45 PM  
Blogger His suzy said...

You and M could move to Ohio. I hear there's some cool people there. ;)

2:10 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Come to Madison! I think you'd really like it here.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Suzy beat me to it. People actually drive the speed limit here. And get this, they regularly let people merge in front of them. I had to retrain my driving skills after moving here to be courteous again. Oh yeah, we have lots of pretty trees here too. :)

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Mrs. E said...

I feel that the only way you will escape that lifestyle is to move way, way outside of the city limits to a town where the population is less than 2,000. Where tractors are still blocking roadways and downtown is a two-minute walk from your front door step.

You will find materialism and impatient, self-centered human beings in every city. But if you're lucky enough, you'll find a community within the walls of your city that will remind you what it is to be a caring and giving individual.

9:58 AM  
Blogger avocadoinparadise said...

Maybe try moving to the real city and walking instead of driving.

Capitol Hill is a neighborhood of (mostly) people who like to walk to work, to get groceries, & to do basically everything! They still often don't look at each other (it is the city after all), but sometimes we make friendly eye contact. And there are plenty of non-chain places, and no big box stores. It's a nice little world that you should experience before leaving DC in disgust.

It's small-town-esque.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I understand what you mean, just wanting to get away from it all for a while. Perhaps a vacation to somewhere rural?

2:09 PM  
Blogger kj said...

liz, i(reluctantly) moved from the boston area to western mass and am shocked/surprised/delighted how much i like the slower pace and easier living. there are enough colleges around to keep me stimulated; otherwise, the farms and fresh gardens keep me calm.

fortunately, i think you can simplify from within, without having to actually move.....

:)

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home