Thursday, March 29, 2007

Things

Things that are making me sneeze:
Cedars, elms, junipers, Timothy grass, dust mites, etc etc etc and my own beloved dog, but NOT cockroaches. Thank God for the small gifts in life.


Things that are making me anxious:
We’re going to a dinner party on Friday night at a neighbor’s house. We don’t know the couple very well, and there will be two other couples from his street that we don’t know at all. I’m not sure if they realize that I don’t eat meat, and they didn’t ask when they invited us. I had a dream last night that we sat down to eat, wine in hand, and there was a huge, bloody roast smack dab in the middle of the table. No salad. No potatoes or carrots or ANY SIDE DISHES OF ANY KIND. There was no way to inconspicuously avoid eating the bloody roast.


Things that are making me laugh:
This is old, but it still makes me laugh whenever I think about it.

The food critic at the Washington Post does a live chat once a week. Last year some guy wrote in about how he and his wife had enjoyed dinner at a local fine dining establishment and really liked the meal, but were shocked that the bill came to more than they had ever spent in a restaurant before (he went on to name a couple of places he'd been to that are excellent, but also very pricey). This led to a pissing contest of sorts among the chatters, many of whom wrote in to brag about the most expensive item/meal they’d ever eaten and to admonish the original poster for not eating at home if he can’t swing with the Big Boys.

Obnoxious! I thought.

Then a chatter wrote in with: “Oh yeah? Well I have spent 50,000 dollars on a single appetizer. Marinated unicorn belly, it was fantastic. Looks like I am the most experienced reading today. Take that.”

And I didn’t breathe again for twenty minutes, so enjoyable was my belly laugh.

(if the person who wrote that ever reads this post, please email me. I think I'd really love to be best friends with you.)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Roxanne said...

Awww, Timothy grass? You can never own a bunny. :(

Per the dinner party: I think that it's ok to mention that you're a vegetarian. While you're not asking them to go out of their way, you are offering some info so they can at least provide SOMETHING for you to eat. Look on the bright side. Even if there's nothing at dinner to munch on, I bet the dessert will be meat free. As long as they're not mince meat fans. ;)

6:12 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I have always wanted a bunny, so that's really sad (I suggested it again to M yesterday- he is dubious). Maybe allergy shots will help.

I found out that the main dish is going to be some pasta thing that has chicken... should be easy enough to pick out. Our neighbor is a wine freak with a huge wine cellar- I'm looking forward to the pairings. :)

12:10 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

It must be the marinade pushing up the price of the unicorn belly!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

i want to know how the dinner was!

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Bethydiane said...

Okay, this is off topic but thanks to you I just got Big Love in the mail yesterday through Netflix and watched the first two episodes of the show. Yes, I could not just watch one. And I really wanted to watch three but I controlled myself. It's so darn intriguing. And slightly Sopranos without all the curse words.

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home