Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I Get Around

We've been in North Carolina visiting with M's dad and his wife for the past few days. His wife is from Ireland and had lots of ideas for our upcoming Ireland trip. She also offered us Guinness as soon as we arrived at their house at 4:00 in the afternoon.

Slainte!

So, do you want to know about the car trip? To be honest, my memory is kind of fuzzy from all the Guinness. But I do have photographic evidence.

Welcome to America, home of heart disease and debt:




M and I shuddered uncontrollably when we saw this sign. Then we walked into the McDonald's across the street and ordered a three-gallon strawberry milkshake that took two hours to consume.

Why are my eyeballs pink?

Um, anyway. Regarding the dinner party last Friday night... it was mostly lots of fun, but also a little uncomfortable for various reasons. The first reason was that we couldn't figure out what the heck to take as a gift.

We usually take a bottle of wine when we're invited somewhere for dinner, but then we discovered that the host of the dinner party is a bit of a wine enthusiast who has an estimated 700 bottles in his collection.

They even have a plan that details how to get the most expensive bottles out of the house should it ever catch fire or come under siege. In other words, I'm fairly certain he wouldn't be impressed by the $25 bottle of local Virginia wine that we'd been planning to take.

Flowers! we decided. We'll take a nice boquet of spring flowers!

Then we found out that the hostess used to be a florist, still gets her blooms wholesale and was already putting the table arrangements together.

Cheese! we concluded. A nice gourmet cheese is just the thing!

Then we found out that there was a cheese course already planned for the dinner, featuring seven cheeses.

Fuck.

In the end, M made zucchini bread and I wrapped it in Press n' Seal and stuck a bow on it. Happy happy, y'all.

The main course of the dinner was indeed pasta and chicken in a tomato cream sauce, but I was able to eat around the chicken. The meal was greatly enhanced by all the various wines we enjoyed, totalling approximately one seventh of the collection.That means that he's down to about 600 bottles. Poor guy. That Boone's Farm isn't looking so bad now, is it?

I wonder which wine best complements fried bologna? I suddenly have a wonderful idea for the next dinner party...

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Bearette24 said...

Hee. Have you seen signs for chicken-fried steak? Those mystified me when I went to Texas for the first time. Still do, in fact.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Hey, I make a mean chicken fried steak. I just don't eat it. I'm fattening up the family and when they die, I'll get all the money.

You should have taken a lovely bottle of two buck chuck to your host. :)

I read in the paper today that Krispy Kreme is a big hit in Japan. It seems we're trying to make them drop dead of heart attacks too!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I think I remember chicken fried steak being one of the frequent school lunch offerings when we were stationed in Alabama.

Caro- I've had plenty of two-buck chuck myself, but I don't want to offend them until I've sampled another 100 bottles from their collection. ;)

7:39 PM  
Anonymous bethydiane said...

My grandpa loved fried bologna sandwiches. And why is it spelled "bolognA" but pronounced "bolognE?"

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

I love the signs and restaurant menus that show "chicken fried chicken." Ummmm, isn't that a bi9t redundant? Shouldn't it just be "fried chicken"?

9:29 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bethy- seriously. And then they threw a 'g' in there for good measure.

Betsy- that must be one of the great mysteries of the universe, just like the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

9:37 AM  
Blogger His suzy said...

So what did you and M think of NC? Gonna make the big move? :)

12:10 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

Thunderbird, dear.
With Ho-Hos for dessert.

10:01 PM  
Blogger kj said...

you know, liz, when i don't visit your blog for a while and then i do, i realize how much i love your wit and writing. yours is one of my favorite blogs. so there!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Chicken fried chicken has always baffled me.

Speaking of chicken, it looks like that's KFC in the reflection of the window.

Homemade zucchini bread is ALWAYS better than wine. Yum!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Suzy- Charlotte was nice, but we didn't leave with a yen for NC.

Babel- you have designed a most excellent pairing. Black teeth + black lips. Sweet.

kj- well, I want to steal your dog. So there!

roxanne- whether zucchini bread is better than wine depends on how hard your day was.

also, I wouldn't be surprised if that's a KFC- that tiny street off the interstate seemed to have every chain known to man.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

I have eaten fried bologna and I have eaten chicken fried steak. I think its a southern thing ;-)

Bookworm (born and raised in Virginia)

10:12 PM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

Long time stalker, first time commenter! lol!! Originally found your blog thru CL. Just adore your posts!! Um.... That's all I guess!! Except for the *gulp* Fried Bologna??? Yeah.... Boone Farms would go GREAT with that! (Do they still make Annie Green Springs??) Never mind.... Back to stalking mode

12:23 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

bookworm- I think you should give a report on fried bologna for those of us who haven't tried it. Appearance/texture/taste/etc. :)

ru serious- yes, it looks like they still make it. Try it with fried bologna and let us know how it was.

9:29 AM  
Blogger R U Serious?? said...

The Annie Green Springs did NOT go well with the fried bologna!! YECCH!! I'll try 2 Buck Chuck next!! Only the best, ya know!!

2:22 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks for reporting back, Serious!

10:34 AM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

I like that you can pay for your fried bologna with a variety of credit card options.

Caro: I haven't been to Krispy Kreme yet...it's all a bit exciting as I've never had it before! J-people are definitely increasing in girth ;)

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home